Are you an electrical or electronics engineer with an interest in High Voltage or Pulsed Power? Would you like the opportunity to work in AWE's unique Orion Laser Facility? Then we have the perfect role for you! AWE are recruiting for an Electrical or Electronics Engineer to develop their knowledge and experience on a distinctive system. This role offers excellent career progression opportunities and the chance to learn about other pulsed power/high voltage systems operated at AWE!
Electrical or Electronics Engineer
Location: Reading / Basingstoke Area
Salary: £27,960 - £48,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
Closing Date: 13th June 2023
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
The Trials & Test Group are looking for an Engineer with either an electrical or electronic background to work as part of a mixed discipline team to operate and maintain a high voltage pulsed power system. The Pulsed Power team maintain and operate the 14 Capacitor Bank Modules that amplify the laser to its 1-petawatt output. This would be a good opportunity for someone interested in fault diagnosis and design improvements of high voltage and/or mechatronic systems. Knowledge of Pulsed Power is not essential as full training will be provided. Knowledge of High Voltage would be beneficial, but guidance and training will be provided.
Responsibilities will include:
- Routine maintenance and operation of a high voltage/pulsed power system
- Undertake fault diagnosis and recommend repair or improvement strategies
- Contributing to the production and delivery of technical reports and presentations
- Contributing to the delivery of projects from concept to realisation
- Developing new methods of working and implementation of these
- Supporting the progress of designs through product lifecycle
- Understanding the hazards and associated risks of any work conducted
To be considered for the role you would ideally have an HNC or equivalent in an engineering discipline or proven experience working in a similar environment and possess strong communication skills.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.