AWE has an exciting opportunity for a Principal Mechanical Design Engineer
This role will involve developing warhead components and sub-systems that contain pressurised equipment, mechanical structures, electrical sensors and chemical interfaces. The successful candidate will be working with a multi-disciplined team made up of Engineers, Physicists and Material Scientist to provide concepts, prototypes and validated engineered solutions to support Replacement Warhead technologies.
Principal Mechanical Design Engineer (Warhead)
Location: Reading area (office based)
Salary: £58,500 - £75,000 (dependent on experience)
Closing date: 20th June 2023
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
- Potential opportunities to travel with work for conferences and collaboration
As a key member of the Warhead Engineering Team, we are interested in engaging with candidates who have an extensive experience managing mechanical or chemical designs and specifications and are interested in developing their career with us.
As a Principal Mechanical Design Engineer within a matrix organisation, your role will span a range of responsibilities:
Negotiating requirements and interfaces
Planning and managing the engineering development
Providing verification and test plans for engineering trials and tests
Providing system level documentation and presentations for periodic reviews
Reviewing and approving designs to ensure that the products meet with our customers' requirements
This is a uniquely hybrid role that will give you the opportunity to combine your technical ability with leading a team. Degree qualified, and ideally Chartered, you will also benefit from great interpersonal skills and a sound understanding of System Engineering processes and techniques.
Though not to be considered a check list, candidates would also benefit from knowledge of ANY of the following:
PSSR and pressure vessel design codes
Product testing and validation techniques
Fluid dynamics and hydraulic systems
Nuclear Safety assessment techniques
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be able to regularly travel to the US for partnering opportunities once restrictions on travel are lifted.