SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK or Ireland sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading, Havant, Belfast or Dublin.
Salary: £72,500 - £108,700 + car /car allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
The main purpose of the role is to develop the Operational Technology for the Distribution business incorporating appropriate innovations and technology whilst considering risk to critical infrastructure. You will be developing and implementing engineering policies and procedures for Protection and Control systems, the Distributed Management Systems (DMS), SCADA, Telecommunications, Network Automation, Active Network Management and managing the support interfaces with telecoms and other suppliers. You, and your team, will also be responsible for:
- Ensuring that process safety and cyber security is built into all aspects of Operational Technology.
- To develop, review and update existing strategy, policy and procedures across distribution requiring technical understanding of protection and control systems from LV to 132kV including the telecommunications networks from sites to core systems.
- To ensure 24 hour support is in place for the Operational Technology. and to effectively initiate and manage projects for upgrades and developments to the control systems and Active Network Management systems.
- Represent SSEPD as technical expert at UK wide industry forums & working parties (Electricity Networks Association, Strategic Technical Programme, etc.) and contribute to the development of new/revised Engineering Recommendations, Engineering Technical Reports. Respond and contribute to discussions and consultations hosted by OFGEM, DECC, National Grid / SHET in relation to areas of responsibility above.
- To oversee investigation of significant operational technology failures. To effectively communicate with SSE Safety, HSE, DECC and other statutory bodies in relation to any such failures.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Ideally you will be a Chartered Engineer or equivalent with a strong understanding of statutory, regulatory & license requirements, industry wide codes, network and engineering standards.
- Good theoretical and practical understanding of electrical protection, control and telecommunication systems as applied to Distribution networks.
- Extensive experience of developing procedures and documentation of work to meet lead times.
- The ability to develop and implement engineering strategies, as well as the ability to lead and develop a team.
- You should have the judgement to make sound decisions under pressure, ensuring safety standards are maintained whilst delivering value.
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we're ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life's changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact / 01738 341523.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.
Candidates for this role will be required to obtain vetting to SC level through UK Government. The criteria normally includes 5 years UK residency, further information can be found here: United Kingdom Security Vetting: Applicant - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)