SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Reading or Havant
Salary: £32,600 - £48,800 + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
The Cloud Engineer will contribute to the design and delivery of cloud services delivered within SSE, the primary objective is to drive cloud Infrastructure enhancements, develop the toolchain and automation patterns required to empower transformation. The role will provide the opportunity to be part of SSE's digital transformation and migration of applications to Cloud, ensuring the platform achieves the target standards of efficiency, resilience and availability required by the organisation.
You will have experience in the delivery of infrastructure solutions and awareness SDLC software delivery techniques and principles that will drive a shift to Cloud Native Architecture and design.
This is a key role providing the right candidate the opportunity to contribute to technical strategy and direction for the firm and the approach to delivering a multi-cloud architecture.
As a team player, you will work closely with a team of strategists, architects, subject matter experts, to craft technical solutions that accelerate our business.
- Work with business stakeholders throughout the whole cloud lifecycle, providing comprehensive support to transform and modernise their application portfolios
- Act as a trusted advisor and bridge between the cloud team and stakeholders, and so must be able to provide regular progress updates and flag any issues accordingly.
- Support stakeholders to adopt and leverage the latest Cloud Native Application Architecture patterns, delivering scalable, resilient, and performant solutions.
- Ensure all architecture and Cloud infrastructure accommodates the latest security and software lifecycle patterns.
- Provide leadership, coaching and development for the immediate team and act as an evangelist within the organisation for engineering practices.
- Partner with Product owners and management to manage and clearly article demand planning and delivery against the projected backlog and book of work.
- Identify and progress opportunities to drive continuous improvement across engineering, delivery, and operational practices.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Cloud Certification in either Amazon AWS or Microsoft Azure desirable, but not essential.
- Understanding of cloud systems architecture and design.
- Strong analytical skills and a solid understanding of operational support procedures.
- Experience and knowledge of Infrastructure-as-Code i.e. Terraform.
- Comfortable writing software in at least one general-purpose programming language (Python, Go, Java)
- Exposure to common CI/CD solutions and tools such as GitHub, Gitlab or Azure DevOps.
About our Business
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security - we power SSE's growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact / 01738 275 846.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.