Location(s): UK, Europe & Africa : UK : Guildford
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments. Role definition:
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence we produce state-of-the-art electronic products which are critical for the safety of our society and the protection of industry in the UK and across the globe. A rigorous manufacturing framework underpins these products, ensuring that deliveries to our customers are of consistently high quality, and ensuring our products are resilient throughout their service life.
You will join our Manufacturing Engineering team as an RF Electronics Engineer and will take on engineering responsibility for the production and in-service support of our Software Defined Radio products. You will develop a deep technical understanding of our products, and apply your knowledge of RF, digital and analogue principles to identify improvements and overcome technical challenges. You will work on a range of electronic products from the earliest standalone prototype systems through to mature products that are in widespread operation with our customers.
You will be surrounded in our labs by our highly-skilled engineering community and will receive the support you require to perform your role successfully through a combination of on-the-job and formal training. You will be given real responsibility from day one, working on products which are critical to both our business and our customers. You will receive mentoring and support on your chosen career path - which could be a purely technical route, or a technical management route.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to our success. We are proud to have a culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
Due to the sensitive nature of the work we do, candidates must be willing to undergo a UK security vetting procedure. Key duties:
Desirable skills and experience:
- Integrating, testing and supporting our RF electronic products.
- Undertaking fault diagnosis and resolution from system level down to component level.
- Management of broader technical issues, seeing through to resolution and prevention of reoccurrence.
- Analysing and interpreting test data to ensure the highest performance of delivered products.
- Designing, implementing and improving test systems and processes, including programming and deploying complex ATE.
- Recommending design changes to our products, eg for performance or obsolescence, and then working with design teams to incorporate those changes.
- Proactively identifying and recommending opportunities for process improvement.
- Reporting engineering status to senior stakeholders.
- A degree-level qualification (or equivalent) in Electronic/Electrical Engineering or Physics
- Knowledge of analogue or RF electronics, including RF test equipment, test techniques, and results analysis.
- At least 2 years working in industry, delivering against tight timescales and being adaptable to changing requirements.
- Familiarity with electronic components and their in-circuit functionality.
- Configuration and operation of advanced electronic test equipment (oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, network analysers, function generators, etc.).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
- Understanding and modifying Python and C++ code.
- Knowledge of mixed signal (analogue/RF and digital) circuits.
- Linux operating environment and scripting.
- Knowledge of regulatory compliance requirements, including EMC.
- Experience with safety evaluations for products and processes.
- Previous use of analogue or RF electronic modelling software.
- Mentoring other staff.
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.