AWE have a unique opportunity as a Principal Technical Secretariat
The role holder will provide specialist subject matter advice associated with the governance of general/industrial/nuclear/explosives safety and programmes and within the central ESH sub-function. You will advise changes going through governance on strategies for the development of safety activities (general/industrial/nuclear/explosives safety and other major hazards) in line with relevant legislation, industry standards and AWE's policies, procedures, and guidance. You will analyse and assess the effectivity of the different levels of governance, monitor Key Performance Indicators summarised within regular written and verbal reporting.
Location - Reading / Basingstoke Area
Salary: £55,000 - £75,000 (dependent on experience)
Closing Date - 19th June 2023
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site.
The role holder will be required to -
- Undertake a lead role as part of the company's safety governance technical secretariat
- Monitor and maintain associated Operational/Assurance Functional Excellence Plans (FEP), Key Performance Indicators (KPI) etc. facilitating progress, as appropriate, to needs, accountabilities and responsibilities. Contributing to processes/tools that assess performance of the development and use of safety activities and Licence Condition compliance and identify where improvements could be made.
- Maintain and promote high standards in Environment, Safety, Health, Security and Quality.
- Engage with all internal and external regulators/stakeholders.
- Provide guidance to the LMSC and NSC chairs on validity of submissions in line with AWE due process, on governance process adherence and protocols.
- Collection of appropriate data and metrics on the business of the committees and feeds this into the appropriate forums. This data will also be used to monitor the consistency of governance across the various ACBs and LMSCs.
- Track and review KPIs and themes from across the LMSCs and reporting these to appropriate governance committees.
- Undertake regular reviews of the conduct and management of the LMSC and NSC and other AWE Committees which support the Company Governance arrangements and providing a report to Director ESH, Director Corporate Assurance and Exec Director Liabilities (ESH&Q).
- Undertake minute taking at various meetings (Regulatory, NSC, WSC and LMSC); including working and delivering to tight deadlines.
- Facilitate the planning and co-ordination of meetings including stakeholder communications and maintaining a timetable of meetings (Regulatory, NSC, WSC and LMSC).
- Maintain an understanding of relevant legislation, AWE policies, procedures, and guidance.
- Maintain an understanding of Licence Conditions, Compliance, and relevance to AWE as a licenced Site.
To be considered for the role you will have some of the following:
- Level 3 Qualification e.g. NVQ Level 3 in Occupational Health & Safety, NEBOSH Construction Certificate or NEBOSH General Certificate or equivalent.
- IOSH grade of Affiliate, Associate or newly upgraded TechIOSH (to develop H&S competence through continuous professional development).
- Positive, self-motivating and responds positively to change.
- Takes responsibility for their own decisions and understands the impacts on their area.
- Inquisitive nature and desire to drive constant improvements.
- Safety advisor experience in a high hazard environment.
- Investigation and inspection techniques.
- Aspects of emergency response in a high hazard environment.
- Customer service-related tasks and duties.
- Evidence of effective team working.
- Good knowledge and ability to interpret relevant legislation.
- Willing and able to obtain and maintain the security clearance required for the role.