About the Role
Base Location: We're proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception. We will, however need your base 'home' location to be one of our SSEN Transmission Offices (Perth / Inverness / Aberdeen / Glasgow)
Salary: £ Competitive + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
As part of SSEN Transmission Pathway to 2030 programme of works, we are looking for Assistant Engineering Managers to help drive forward our projects and who can bring big ideas, new skills and innovative thinking to help us grow our teams to successfully deliver a network for Net Zero.
Many of the Pathway to 2030 projects are new HVDC projects. This role would sit in within the HVDC Engineering Team, and although direct HVDC experience would be desirable it is not necessary.
The duties and responsibilities of the Assistant Engineering Manager (HVDC) are:
- Working with the Project Engineering Manager, be responsible for delivery of HVDC Engineering scope (LCP Gate 1 to Gate 4) for assigned project / package (typical value £700M - £2000M); to ensure that Engineering and Quality risks are identified and understood.
- Direct Line Management responsibilities of project engineers and be responsible for the co-ordination of all engineering activities, including the selection and management of engineering consultants, technical direction of contractors.
- Ensure that project technical requirements are clearly and robustly communicated to project teams. Responsible for early identification of technology elements requiring Technical Authority approval, and preparing the plan for TA approval, in conjunction with the technical team.
- Promote and manage safety within project portfolio, including Safety in Design, implementation of CDM procedures and Principle designer (PD) practice, with Project Managers and Safety Manager.
- Responsible for Design Management Plans, Engineering Works Information, scheduling of Design Reviews and ensuring competent project technical leadership (in conjunction with Project Engineering Manager and the Technical Authority)
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A degree in an appropriate engineering discipline (preferably CEng) coupled with significant experience leading multi-discipline teams.
- Good Technical knowledge of the Transmission network and an understanding of legal and regulatory obligations for Transmission
- Good Technical knowledge of relevant legislation and the implications for Transmission network management for both Assets and Projects, including CDM and ESQCR.
- Good relationships and understanding of consultants and external industry experts and the ability to communicate and challenge complex technical issues and recommendations in a clear and concise manner to facilitate decision making by senior management
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact / 01738 344049.
EXTERNAL: Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
INTERNAL: As a courtesy, please let your current line manager know you are applying.