Nuclear Fire Safety Engineer
To support the production of nuclear fire safety cases and the associated fire modelling calculations in accordance with AWE Management Arrangements. The ability to think innovatively will be important in working with facility and project managers to drive effective solutions that can be delivered efficiently. This will be at the forefront of a wide variety of work, involving ground-breaking innovation and technical challenges across a wide range of projects associated with:
- AWE's multibillion-pound Capital Programme of new facilities.
- Planning future systems in support of the UK's long-term strategic deterrent.
- Maintaining and extending the life of existing facilities.
- Decommissioning of the redundant facilities.
Location - Reading / Basingstoke Area
Salary - £35,720 to £53,580 negotiable dependant on experience and suitability to the role.
Closing Date - 22nd June 2023
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
You will be required to advise on the following:
- Codes available in modelling fires - their verification and validation, limits to their applicability, their use in accordance with RGP as applied to fire modelling techniques.
- Fire dynamics and fire science.
- Fire engineering.
- Thermal properties of materials.
Ideally you will have Degree in a science or engineering based subject or vocational qualification (HND or equivalent) and demonstrable experience of working on multi-disciplined projects and be familiar with one or more of the following:
- Knowledge and experience of working on a site containing radiological, chemical and/or explosive hazards.
- Knowledge of the techniques used for Safety Case Assessment.
- Excellent interpersonal/communication skills, report and presentation skills
This is a highly rewarding position that will give you the opportunity to apply your skills and experience in support of AWE's important mission to keep the Nation safe.
All candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work in designated areas.