About the role
Base Location: Aberdeen, Glasgow, Inverness, Perth
Salary: £Competitive + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
As the Principal Engineer - Offshore Cable Installations, you will;
- Write, maintain and own technical specifications and guidance notes required for all Offshore HVAC/ HVDC cable installations used on the Transmission network and review existing specifications and update them based on lessons learnt from projects and to include development of technology.
- As part of the Technical Authority, review installation method statements, risk assessments, etc. in relation to installation of offshore cable systems to ensure that all installations are suitable to be approved for use on the transmission network.
- Provide Subject Matter Expert input to design reviews carried out by the Design Authority and provide specialist input where required and verify project proposals are fit for purpose and identify any scope changes required.
- Provide technical guidance and advice to the transmission business for new HVAC or HVDC cable installations and maintenance, cable replacements and cable repair.
- Represent SSEN Transmission at industry body events such as ESCA, ICPC, IEC or CIGRE working groups and attend conferences.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A degree in Marine/Civil Engineering or another relevant engineering discipline and Chartered Engineer status with a relevant institution or working towards chartered status.
- Demonstrable experience on an expert level in the design, construction and installation of submarine cable systems.
- The ability and experience to technically assess issues, problems and/or faults related to offshore HVAC / HVDC cable installations alongside an in depth understanding of the technical requirements for operation and maintenance of offshore HVAC / HVDC cable installations.
- A detailed knowledge and understanding of a range of national and international standards alongside the capability and experience in writing technical specifications, guidance notes and work instructions for offshore transmission cable system installations.
- Experience in installation of land transmission (HVAC / HVDC) cable systems would also be advantageous.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Iona on 01738 344049.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.