About the Role
Base Location: Aberdeen, Glasgow, Inverness or Perth
Salary: £Competitive + car / allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
As the Principal Engineer - Mechanical Building Services, you will;
- Write, maintain and own technical specifications required for substation mechanical services (e.g. Air Conditioning, Ventilation Systems, water supplies, fire protection, security etc.) and review existing specifications and update them based on lessons learnt from projects and to include development of technology.
- Represent Transmission at industry body events such as ENA or CIGRE working groups and attend conferences, participate in supplier meetings, TO forums, etc. and lead on introduction of new technology.
- As part of the Technical Authority review perform approval of apparatus/equipment, Inspection Test Plan, Inspection Test Record, witness tests to ensure that all technology and apparatus/equipment selected is adequately tested, proven and validated and write Technical Authority reports.
- Provide technical guidance and advice to Project Engineering for scope of works, specification and supplier selection, Asset Management for equipment replacement and to Operations regarding equipment capability and lead on substation innovation.
- Provide Subject Matter Expert input to design reviews carried out by the Design Authority.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A degree in Electrical Engineering or another relevant engineering discipline and Chartered Engineer status with a relevant institution or working towards chartered status.
- Demonstrable experience in the design, specification, construction, operation and maintenance of Mechanical and Electrical Services and Auxiliary Systems in a data centre, substation or industrial background.
- The ability to technically assess issues and/or problems and critically assess a range of technical solutions and a detailed knowledge and understanding of a range of National and International Standards including National Grid, Energy Network Association, British and European specification/standards.
- Experience in Electrical Services and Auxiliary Systems in substations would also be advantageous.
About our Business
SSEN Transmission owns and operates the electricity transmission network in the north of Scotland, transporting energy from where it is generated to where it is needed, providing a safe and reliable supply of electricity to the communities it serves. Home to some of the UK's greatest resources of renewable energy, SSEN Transmission is playing a critical role in the transition to a low carbon future, developing, building, maintaining and operating a network for net zero.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Iona on 01738 344049.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.