Operations Process Improvement Specialist
- Job Type
Operations Process Improvement Specialist - Scotland - National Grid
Salary: Circa £39-45k dependant on experience + excellent benefits + company car
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Operations Process Improvement Specialist based in Scotland (Flexible Location) to effectively support and sustain the Performance Excellence Roadmap and Blueprint deployment across the Gas Transmission business as well as to drive local improvements.
National Grid is much more than the UK's biggest network utility business. Connecting millions of customers in England, Scotland, Wales and the north-east USA with gas and electricity, our people make sure that lights are on, homes are heated and businesses powered. It's a responsibility we take very seriously and we're dedicated to continuous improvement.
Bringing your expertise in lean process methodology to our Gas Transmission business, you'll help us identify and implement new ways of maximising efficiency and value. You will be responsible for supporting the transfer of capability into the Network Engineering Operations and Business Operation Support functions, in order to embed and sustain a performance excellence culture within; resulting in the delivery of continuous improvement, value creation for Customers, the Company and engaged employees.
- Working directly or virtually in a team of Process Improvement specialists,; It will be your responsibility to support, coach, and train business functions within Gas Transmission to enable continuous improvement of processes and performance excellence
- Ensure that the Performance Excellence Roadmap and Performance Excellence standards (Team Hubs, Work Place Review, problem solving, etc.) are being effectively deployed
- Supporting a number of local and national diagnostic improvement initiatives to make a positive impact across the function in support of the company end to end processes and function business plan;
- Identify and understand all customer needs/requirements and focus improvement actions on the processes that are falling short of satisfying these needs/requirements;
- You will be confident in using appropriate Performance Excellence methodologies for problem solving
- Effectively manage multiple stakeholders across the company to ensure smooth process improvement implementations and ensure the escalation process for problem solving is effective across the functions
- Actively support the Performance Excellence community of practice to ensure development of Performance Excellence standards, consistency, best practice sharing and successes;
- Ensure all employees capability is maintained within the function e.g. ensuring new employees are trained appropriately.
What we're looking for:
While knowledge of Lean/Performance Excellence process methodologies and associated tools and techniques is essential, a background in engineering, utilities or production environment would be a distinct advantage.
You will also have:
- The ability to identify, analyse and problem solve complex challenges;
- he ability to mentor, train and coach others;
- Strong interpersonal skills to work successfully as an internal consultant and build productive business relationships;
- Project Management experience desirable
- The ability to organise, plan and facilitate workshops.
- Enthusiasm and knowledge of utility operation and asset management preferred
- Degree or equivalent
- Six Sigma or Lean - desirable
- Green Belt/Black Belt in Facilitative Leadership/Creative Problem Solving - desirable
- A full driving licence is essential, as there will be some travel necessary within this role.
Who we are
National Grid plc is the operator of the GB gas transmission pipeline system, delivering around half the nation's energy needs on a 24/7 basis. The national gas transmission system consists of 7,000km of high quality welded steel pipelines operating at pressures up to 85 bar. Gas compressor stations are strategically situated along the pipeline to pump the gas along the route. As a key resource within a small team, you will contribute positively to the highest standards of health, safety and environmental performance.
At National Grid, we don't just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. Accredited training programmes and personal development courses are a part of life here. We value and encourage diversity of thought, whatever your background. By creating an inclusive, switched-on workforce, we drive performance and deliver excellence. Which is exactly what we need to achieve our vision of creating sustainable energy solutions, for today and tomorrow.
To learn more about working at National Grid, apply for this position and to see where else we have Technician vacancies live in the UK, click on the Apply button now.
We encourage candidates to submit their applications as early as possible and not to wait until the published closing date. National Grid's recruitment periods can and may vary. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.