Apply by: Monday 25 September 2023 23:55
Are you a Scientist inspired to work on sophisticated, complex and cutting-edge scientific projects? If so, our sister organisation, the Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) have an incredible opportunity for you to join the Naval Authority Technology Group (NATG) at MOD Abbey Wood, Bristol.
As a specialist member of the NATG, you will be responsible for research and development, identification, evaluation and section of materials introduced to submarines during design, build and in-service phases of their lifecycles. You will work alongside industry specialists, gaining the opportunity shadow and to become a recognised authority on Occupational Hygiene (OH), Material Toxicology (MT) and Chemical Safety Management (CSM).
This is a unique role that will allow you to work at the forefront of engineering, science and technology to solve unique technical challenges. By linking with fellow minds and allies across the world, you will play a key role in protecting submariner health and provide a significant contribution to the success of our projects.
In the SDA, continuous professional development is actively encouraged. You will have access to defined upskilling policies, routes to chartership and support to prosper. You will adopt a hybrid working pattern with an expectation to attend site a minimum of 3 days per week. When attending site, your primary place of work will be MOD Abbey Wood, Filton, Bristol BS34 8JH.
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, this role is reserved for sole UK Nationals only.
About the role
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Work towards becoming a registered member of the British Occupational Hygiene Society with a certificate of Operational Competence in Occupational Hygiene (CertOccHyg or ICertOccHyg) or relevant discipline/ professional body.
- Support SME safety advice on biocidal products relating to OH/MT, in accordance with statutory and MoD regulations.
- Support in-service and build programmes to establish safe systems of work through chemical data reviews.
- Support high priority assessments to meet the build timescales, coordinate materials assurance efforts across the enterprise, perform and evaluate MT assessments and develop material safety policy.
- Ensure materials comply with relevant legislation and MOD policy for Naval Authority certification.
To be successful with your application, you’ll need to show that you meet the following essential criteria:
- Professionally Registered Scientist or has demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience.
- Relevant level 4 (or higher) qualification or equivalent experience.
- Significant depth of scientific experience in specialist area.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
- EFCF 4 Technical Decision Making – Supervised Practitioner.
- EFCF 5 Technical Risk Management – Supervised Practitioner.
- Communicating and Influencing CSBC3.
- Changing and Improving CSBC3.
- 25 days’ annual leave +1 day a year up to 30 days, 8 bank holidays and a day off for the King’s birthday
- Flexible and hybrid working wherever possible, to support your work-life balance (though some attendance to the stated site is required)
- Market-leading employer pension contribution of around 27%
- Annual performance-based bonus and recognition awards
- Access to specialist training and funded professional qualifications
- Support for progression
- Huge range of discounts
- Volunteering days
- Enhanced parental leave schemes
We believe in creating an inclusive environment where our people can grow, thrive, and be their authentic selves. We value diversity of thought and the ways in which it enriches our culture and our work. So whether you’re looking for a new opportunity, a next step, or a helping hand as you return from a career break,
A little bit about the SDA…
The Submarine Delivery Agency (SDA) is an Executive Agency of the Ministry of Defence responsible for the procurement, in service support and disposal of the UK’s nuclear submarines. Their work is of unparalleled strategic importance nationally and internationally, ensuring the security of the UK’s continuous at-sea nuclear deterrent, and delivering the most technically complex programmes in Defence.
Click to apply today and discover a rewarding career where your impact is felt, and your voice is heard.