Systems Safety Engineer / Senior Systems Safety Engineer
£34,642 - £46,868 / £44,666 - £60,430 per annum
Harwell, Oxfordshire / Some home working available.
Full time / Flexible hours considered.
(Internally known as: Personnel Safety Systems Engineer)
Would you like to be a key player in the delivery of one of the biggest scientific upgrade projects carried out in the last 20 years? Would you like to be in at the start and really make a difference as to how Electrical and Electronic Safety Solutions that facilitate Science, Robots and Lasers are engineered and delivered?
If yes, do you hold a degree in Electrical or Systems Engineering or similar, as well as having knowledge and interest in the following areas:
- Safety systems design
- Safety related components
- CAD packages
To be considered at the Senior level you will have experience of:
- Working with standards, particularly EN61508, EN61511 or EN13489
- Undertaking Fault tree analysis and FMEA and understanding its importance
- Hazard identification, particularly in high energy physics environments or similar
- Specifying, creating, and verifying Safety hardware for safety system
You will demonstrate excellent communications skills, along with the ability to solve technical problems, evaluate alternative courses of action and innovating where necessary.
About the Role
Our Systems Safety Engineer or Senior Systems Safety Engineer will lead / support the design, development, commissioning and operational of the Personnel Safety Systems. These systems are used to support the operation of the accelerators and/or beamlines on the Diamond Synchrotron.
You will be required to:
- Lead/Contribute to the design and development of the Personnel Safety Systems to protect staff, users, and the public from the radiation hazards across Diamond.
- Apply technical know-how on active safety systems to ensure that the developed systems meet the goals of required safety integrity level.
- Capture and maintain documentation and Electrical wiring diagrams for Personnel Safety Systems that ensures compliance with international standards.
- Lead/Assist with statistical analysis of the installed Personnel Safety System to verify its integrity level and functional correctness.
- Monitor and report on work-packages related to Personnel Safety System by external suppliers including preparation of tenders and service level agreements.
- Maintain records of subsystem modules & software revision history.
- Analyse failures and maintain the safety assessment system.
- Carry out fault finding and corrective action planning on installed equipment.
Applicants will be considered at either Systems Safety Engineer or Senior Systems Safety Engineer level depending on the strength of your application.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 26 days annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays and 2 annual volunteering days, along with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Diamond Light Source is one of the world’s most advanced scientific facilities. We’re home to the UK’s synchrotron light source – a giant microscope producing beams of light 10 billion times brighter than the sun. Probing the structure and composition of matter, our work drives innovation in everything from vaccines to nanotech.
At Diamond we are currently at the beginning of a major upgrade of the facility, known as Diamond-II. Diamond-II will combine a new machine and new beamlines with a comprehensive series of upgrades to optics, detectors, sample environments, sample delivery capabilities and computing, which will ultimately generate an even more brilliant light source at a higher energy.
Please use the online application process to apply and tell us why you believe you are suitable for this role.
The initial closing date for applications is 24th September 2023 however applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until this vacancy is filled.