Location(s): UK, Europe & Africa : UK : Guildford
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,500 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 10 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
We develop world-class RF and data systems and we are expanding our teams in areas including space systems and C5ISR with a common requirement for electronic engineering.
We need skilled, enthusiastic and motivated people at all experience levels from early careers to seasoned professional to deliver these exciting new capabilities.
Solving our clients’ problems often requires us to produce novel high-performance solutions, comprising of cutting-edge software and hardware technologies. What you will be doing... (Role Duties and Responsibilities)
As a Senior Embedded Software Engineer, you will be an expert in embedded software development using C for deployment on microcontrollers (e.g. ARM). You will also have a track record of using Real-Time Operating Systems (RTOS) such as FreeRTOS.
You do not need to have direct experience with satellite software; you may have developed your skills in the aerospace, automotive, medical or other industries. However, you must be a self-starter who has a proven ability to manage risks and take pragmatic approaches to resolving technical issues.
As part of our Software Team some of your responsibilities will be:
What we are looking for... (Skills and Experience)
- To deliver software to agreed time and budgets
- To understand and break down system/mission requirements into software requirements
- To design and architect Embedded Software for satellites
- To understand the existing software architecture and extend it to meet mission requirements
- To plan software delivery in line with project milestones
- Verification and acceptance of software from developers and third-party software suppliers
- To interface with software vendors and customers
- Mentoring junior software engineers through guidance and code reviews
- Provide input into software development processes and policies
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with the following characteristics:
- Real-Time Software architecture design
- Microcontroller software development using C in Eclipse, VSCode or other environments
- Linux-based embedded systems
- Communications protocols including CAN, RS485, SPI, I2C and UART, etc
- An understanding of electronic circuits and the ability to read circuit board schematics
- Knowledge of scripting languages (preferably Python)
- Experience of fault-finding and debugging
- Verification and validation of software, including unit testing and continuous integration
- The ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- The ability to manage your time effectively and work to deadlines
- An interest in applying your skills in the space sector
Occasional travel may be required in this role to visit customer sites for demonstrations, installations, handovers or reviews.
An SC level security clearance is required for this role, and candidates should already have, or be capable of obtaining UK SC clearance.
We may share your CV with other relevant BAE Systems owned companies, but please tell us if you don’t want us to. Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.