L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
L3Harris Technologies is an agile global aerospace and defense technology innovator, delivering end-to-end solutions that meet customers’ mission-critical needs. The company provides advanced defense and commercial technologies across space, air, land, sea and cyber domains. L3Harris has approximately $18 billion in annual revenue and 47,000 employees, with customers in more than 100 countries.
Job Title – Software Engineering Lead - 15% Sign on Bonus
Job Location – Tewkesbury or Fleet, UK
Flexible, condensed or reduced working hours considered and hybrid working where possible.
Job ID - SAS20231608-104821
About this opportunity and L3Harris UK
From 12 UK sites, our team of over 1,400 people deliver unique capabilities across air, land, sea, space and cyber for military, security and commercial customers, worldwide.
At L3Harris, in our Intelligence & Cyber (ICI) division, we are looking for a Software Engineering Team Lead to join our growing software team working to support our product portfolios of Cyber Security, Integrated Air & Missile Defence and Electronic Warfare. You will have the opportunity to work across the product portfolios on a range of projects, products and software technologies.
As a Software Engineering Lead you will be responsible for both project technical leadership and team development and growth. You will be involved with designing, developing and testing complex software components/systems on a range of platforms supporting embedded processors through to servers.
A few of our employee benefits are:
- 15% sign on bonus
- £3,000 to £6,000 DV Bonus – please note this level of clearance isn’t essential for this role. This bonus is subject to individual clearance and project requirements – discussed upon application.
- Hybrid working where possible
- Flexible, condensed or reduced working hours available, i.e. 4-day condensed working week, 9-day fortnights,12pm finish every Friday, etc.
- 25 days holiday per year (plus bank holidays), increasing with long service and with the opportunity to buy/sell up to 5 days
- Private medical insurance with optional family cover
- Pension scheme of up to 7% employer contribution
- Life Assurance 4x salary (flexible up to 10x)
- Group income protection
- Flexible opt-in extras such as a health care cash plan, dental insurance, gym membership, critical illness cover and cycle to work scheme
- Employee assistance program providing mental health and wellbeing support
- Professional registration with the IET
What the role will involve
The responsibilities of your role will include the following:
- Taking a leading role in the development of complex systems and in some cases acting as the Software Technical Authority
- Set clear standards and procedures for the software aspects of project development and delivery, tracking project progress and generating reports to stakeholders
- Managing and developing a team of between 5-8 software engineers, fostering great communication between team members and vertically through the organization
- Ensure that the team has appropriate technical competencies, skills and behaviors and developing the team to support future growth and technology/product roadmaps
- Supporting the Software Engineering Manager, by contributing to the development of the Software Engineering Function through the promotion of best practice, tools, processes and training.
- Contribute to the generation of technical proposals, bids and presentations
- Opportunities to participate in trials, customer demonstrations, attend conferences and perform onsite testing in a range of countries worldwide
What you’ll bring
The role of Software Engineering Lead requires the following experience and skills:
- Solid experience of object orientated design and implementation principles (OOD, OOP)
- Previous Software Engineering experience in one or more language (C++, Python, Rust, Java, etc.) with up-to-date skills and a keen interest in industry best practice
- Track record of producing reliable, robust, intuitive, maintainable software
- Experience of leading software engineering development projects through the software lifecycle
- A Degree (or equivalent experience) in Computer Science/Software Engineering
Important to know
Due to the nature of our work many our roles require a UK nationality and the ability to obtain a security clearance. Applicants who accept a conditional offer of employment must meet the requirement of right to work in the UK and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information and will be subject to government security checks.
As an equal opportunities employer, L3Harris is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership.
We aspire to have a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage suitably qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join L3Harris.