Are you an electrical or electronics engineer with an interest in High Voltage or Pulsed Power? Would you like the opportunity to work in AWE's unique Orion Laser Facility? Then we have the perfect role for you! AWE are recruiting for an Electrical Maintenance Engineer to develop their knowledge and experience on a distinctive system. We would like someone who is experienced as a maintenance lead and could undertake training and mentorship of junior members of the team teaching them best practice and techniques.
Electrical Maintenance Engineer
Location: Reading / Basingstoke Area
Salary: £33,770 - £48,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
Closing Date: 22nd September 2023
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
The Trials & Test Group are looking for an Electrical or Electronic technician to work with a mixed discipline electrical & electronic team to operate and maintain a purpose designed high voltage pulsed power system powering the Orion laser.
This would be a good opportunity for someone interested in fault diagnosis of high voltage and mechatronic systems. Knowledge of Pulsed Power or high voltage systems is not essential as full training will be provided. The role is to oversee the routine maintenance and operation of the Pulsed Power system, to direct and mentor junior member of staff. We are looking for someone with experience working on complex systems who can implement best practice and help to mentor junior members of the team in technical techniques.
Responsibilities will include:
- Maintain and operate a high voltage pulsed power system for laser operations.
- Maintaining and promote high standards in ESH (Environmental, safety & health), security and quality
- Instruction in best practice to other team members
- Supervise day-to-day activities including tasking of weekly activities as directed by the Maintenance Manager
- Understand the hazards and associated risks of any work conducted
- Contribute to the production and delivery of technical reports and presentations
- Contribute to the delivery of the system from concept to realisation
- Support the progress of designs through product lifecycle
Whilst not to be considered a check list, candidates would also benefit from knowledge of ANY of the following:
- Pulsed Power or High Voltage Systems
- Recording and analyses of test data
- Preparing documentation, writing reports and giving presentations
- Verifying compliance with electrical and construction safety regulations (e.g. In service Inspection and Test (PAT), BS7671 18th Edition, City and Guilds 2391).
To be considered for the role you would ideally have an HNC in an engineering discipline and proven experience working in a similar environment. This role will mentor and supervisor junior members of the team. Full training on the specialist system will be provided however, we are seeking an experienced maintainer.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain security clearance for the role.