SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £18 billion in low carbon projects to 2027, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Aberdeen, Perth, Glasgow
Salary: £51,600 - £77,400 + performance-related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
The Senior Cloud Engineer will contribute to the architecture, design, delivery and support of cloud services delivered within SSEN Transmission, the primary objective is to support both Project initiatives and Operations to successfully leverage published patterns and develop new patterns as required to empower transformation. The role will provide the opportunity to be part of SSEN Transmission's digital transformation and migration of applications to Cloud, ensuring the platform achieves the target standards of efficiency, resilience and availability required by the organisation.
You will have experience in the delivery of Cloud-hosted services and infrastructure solutions and awareness of SDLC software delivery techniques and principles that will drive a shift to Cloud Native Architecture and design.
This is a key role providing the right candidate the opportunity to contribute to technical strategy and direction for SSE and the approach to delivering a multi-cloud architecture.
As a team player, you will work closely with a team of strategists, architects, subject matter experts, to craft technical solutions that accelerate our business.
Key responsibilities for this role will include:
- Work with business stakeholders throughout the whole cloud lifecycle, providing comprehensive support to transform and modernise their application portfolios
- Support stakeholders to adopt and leverage the latest Cloud Native Application Architecture patterns, delivering scalable, resilient, and performant solutions, acting as a trusted advisor to be able to provide regular progress updates and flag any issues accordingly.
- Ensure all architecture and Cloud infrastructure accommodates the latest security and software lifecycle patterns.
- Provide leadership, coaching and development for the immediate team and act as an evangelist within the organisation for engineering practices.
- Identify and progress opportunities to drive continuous improvement across engineering, delivery, and operational practices.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Cloud Certification in Microsoft Azure and/or Amazon AWS is strongly desirable, but not essential.
- Proven record of understanding of cloud systems architecture and design.
- Strong analytical skills and a solid understanding of operational support procedures.
- Experience and knowledge of Infrastructure-as-Code i.e. Terraform.
- Comfortable writing software in at least one general-purpose programming language (Python, Go, Java) with exposure to common CI/CD solutions and tools such as GitHub, Gitlab or Azure DevOps.
About our Business
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security - we power SSE's growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Laura on 01738 341814.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.