AWE is currently recruiting for a Fuzing Team Leader (Warhead Mechanisms)
The Warhead Engineering group at AWE is looking for a highly motivated technical manager of people with a background in electronics, mechanical engineering or applied physics.
Role: Fuzing Team Leader (Warhead Mechanisms )
Location - Reading area
Salary: £44,990 - £60,000 (dependent on experience)
Closing date: 24th September 2023
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
- Potential opportunities to travel with work for conferences and collaboration
This role will involve the line and task management of a multidisciplinary team of electronics engineers, mechanical engineers and physicists delivering electronic and mechanical sensing devices to meet programme demand within the NNC Group.
Accountable for management of staff, laboratories and technical programme delivery, the right candidate will also be able to input into long term strategic planning to build a sustainable capability.
In this role you will be:
- Accountable for leading, coaching and developing a team to deliver team and personal objectives and safely and securely meet our operational plans and stakeholder requirements
- Assessing staff performance, measured against agreed personal objectives and accountabilities, and taking corrective action to improve performance where necessary via appropriate management interventions
- Responsible for the technical quality of the work undertaken by the team and/or teams through appropriate internal and external reviews
- Providing an agile capability, delivering critical skills and resources aligned to the business requirements which underpin the programme
- Maintaining a very high level of knowledge and awareness in the field of technical specialism; understanding the industry challenges and changes which could impact AWE
- Maintain and promote high personal standards in environment, safety, health, security and quality and be a great team player
If you think you have what it takes to inspire scientist and engineers to engineer the extraordinary and directly shape the future of our nuclear deterrent, apply now for a role to help with:
- Delivering hardware at all life cycle phases from 'cradle to grave'
- Inspiring and developing our engineers and scientists of the future
- Ensuring we have the right people, processes and plant to deliver our current and future programmes
- Safeguarding our nation by ensuring our deterrent is credible, effective and safe, today and into the future
To be considered for this role, we would like you to have an HNC / HND or higher qualification in an engineering or scientific discipline or proven experience working in a similar environment and possess strong communication skills. A proven track record of driving delivery, performance and continuous improvement and demonstrable working appreciation of financial and business requirements.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to undertake UK and overseas travel.