SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £18 billion in low carbon projects to 2027, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Reading or Havant
Salary: £37,600 - £56,400 + performance-related bonus and a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
The Cloud FinOps Engineer will contribute to the optimisation of Cloud architecture and services across the SSE portfolio. The role will focus on driving commercial or architectural efficiencies, improving end to end cost management and improve adoption of financial principles in system design.
You will have expert level experience in delivery of Public Cloud infrastructure, awareness of financial modelling across Cloud suppliers and understanding of Cloud Native Architecture and design.
As a team player, you will work closely with a team of strategists, architects, subject matter experts, to craft technical solutions that accelerate our business while reducing risk.
- Work with business stakeholders throughout the whole cloud lifecycle, providing comprehensive support to transform and modernise their application portfolios.
- Support stakeholders to adopt and leverage the latest Cloud Native Application Architecture patterns, delivering scalable, resilient, and performant solutions.
- Work with the technical community to evangelise cost optimisation and cost-efficient design, ensuring all solution designs consider costs against service.
- Partner with finance operations to enhance forecasting, cost reporting and improve end to end transparency of Cloud costs.
- Collaborate and partner with our Cloud Service Providers (CSP) to understand architectural best practices, new or emerging cost optimisation techniques and partner with procurement to shape commercial management of the platform.
- Shape and contribute to development of Cloud placement strategy for both Operational Technology and IT.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- End to end understanding of cloud systems architecture and design.
- Deep understanding of Cloud services and pricing across multiple cloud hyperscalers i.e., Azure, GCP or AWS.
- Skilled in data analysis and able to interpret data from various sources, including cloud usage logs, billing statements, and cost reports.
- Strong knowledge of cloud architecture principles and Cloud Native Application design, able to optimise designs for cost efficiency.
- Proficient in automation and scripting tools, such as Terraform, Ansible or Python, providing the ability to automate cloud infrastructure management and cost optimization processes.
- Comfortable writing software in at least one general-purpose programming language (Python, Go, Java).
- Solid understanding of cloud security and compliance best practices, including data privacy regulations and security protocols.
- Awareness of security assurance and design best practices i.e., NIST or CIS.
About our Business
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security - we power SSE's growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact David on 01738 275846.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.