About the Role
Base Location: We're proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception. We will, however need your base 'home' location to be one of our SSE offices or depots around the UK.
Salary: £Competitive + car / car allowance + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
What is the Role?
Due to exciting increasing project values and complexity to meet net-zero ambitions, we are expanding the Engineering Governance team. Working across both our SEPD and SHEPD Distribution licence areas and the Large Capital Delivery, Connections, Customer Operations, Asset Management and DSO Directorates you will ensure that all project designs are fit for purpose complying with relevant internal and external standards and legislation. You will support internal and external designers to meet the required quality standard and develop compliant value engineered designs.
Ideally suited to someone with previous experience in Distribution & Transmission network Operators, Independent Distribution Network Operator, Independent Connection Providers, Rail, Petrochem industries.
To deliver our RIIO ED2 business plan of £4BN our projects will vary from the installation or replacement of existing substation, on/off shore cable and overhead wood pole / tower line assets due to condition, increased load growth and major new connections up to 132kV. In this role you will be:
- Reviewing and approving internal and external detailed project designs that can be consented and safely constructed in compliance with SSEN standards and specifications.
- Verifying design calculations, checking and approving designs to ensure the most appropriate and cost-effective solutions are selected to meet customer and regulatory requirements.
- Considering stakeholder views within the design development phase of the projects.
- Reviewing the specification of plant through completion of order schedules for primary plant items, which will require an understanding of the plant items and their interaction.
- Supporting the internal and external design teams by providing engineering or technical advice relating to the project designs.
- Developing best practice, lessons learnt and design standardisation.
- Supporting Large Capital Projects corporate team with Project Assurance Reviews.
- Ensuring designers meet the required competence requirements and develop designer training courses and programmes to allow them to do so.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Knowledge, experience and understanding of power system design and operation.
- A qualification (minimum of HNC level) in a relevant discipline or have demonstrable experience in a similar role.
- Experience of working under engineering design governance structures and experience of preparing design documentation.
- Working with Principal Designers under the CDM Regulations or have an understanding of the Principal Designer & Designer Roles.
- A full current driving licence.
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.8 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 3,500 people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital to achieving net zero. By enabling a smarter, more resilient electricity network we're ensuring our local communities continue to receive the power they need, both now and in the future. We are consistently investing and innovating to improve network resilience and future-proof power supplies for life's changing demands, from rolling out large scale EV charging schemes to supporting small community generation projects.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Louise on 01738 351698.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.