AWE currently has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Software Engineering Technical Lead (SME) to apply their expertise to our Science Function and contribute towards our successful state of the art Orion facility. If you have experience of large-scale distributed control systems, we want to hear from you.
For more information on Orion Laser facility please click HERE
Senior Software Engineer
Location: Reading area
Package: £44,990- £68,000 (depending on suitability and level of experience)
Closing Date: 25th September 2023
Would you like to join a diverse team managing the tools, from concept through to delivery, which enable the successful execution of campaigns within the Orion laser facility?
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site.
What will you be responsible for?
The role holder is responsible for all technical aspects of Orion Engineering within their boundary.
- Experience of large-scale distributed control systems, which includes:
- Knowledge of communication protocols and methods, including Open Platform Communications (OPC)
- Remote control of instrumentation and acquiring & managing data
- Human Machine Interfaces (HMI's) for control systems
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) toolsets
- Act as a technical focal point for Orion Engineering, which includes disciplines that span Electrical, Software, and C&I.
- Understanding the way Electrical, software and C&I systems all work together.
- Identifying and effectively resolving risks and security threats of control systems.
- Maintaining and upgrading Control systems, and maintaining configuration control
- Ensure technical needs are adequately understood, all viable technical options are considered, and appropriate technical solutions are implemented within stakeholder constraints.
- Ensure appropriate standards are set and best practices implemented.
- Identify appropriate levels of technical competency (in conjunction with Team Leaders and Design Managers).
- Delegate to technically competent staff where appropriate.
- Promote knowledge management to maintain an appropriate level of technical capability.
- Deliver the processes as directed by Design Authority representatives and the Project Control Leads.
- Report activities and progress in accordance with Orion processes.
- Identifying training & development requirements for team members.
To be successful with your application to AWE, you must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.