Engineers (All Disciplines)
Salary range: £35,720 to £65,000 (depending on experience) + allowances for specific roles
Closing date: 1st October 2023
AWE is at the start of once-in-a-generation work programmes that will ensure we protect the UK's safety and security for decades to come. We are seeking ambitious and motivated engineers, at all career stages and in all engineer disciplines, to join our team and contribute to our mission.
Are you looking for a career refresh and a feeling of satisfaction in a job well done? Would you like to use your engineering skills to work with remarkable people, on unique facilities, processes and equipment?
If so, then we want to talk to you about our exciting vacancies where you will make a genuine contribution to keeping the UK safe and secure.
About AWE and our Engineering Vacancies
For nearly 70 years, we have been at the forefront of the UK's defence. We have been assigned a critical mission by the UK Government:
- to protect the UK from nuclear threats such as terrorism and the contravention of international treaties
- to provide the warheads for the UK's current nuclear deterrent - Trident
- to design, develop, manufacture and maintain the warheads for future nuclear deterrents
To support our growing technical programmes to meet this mission, we are undergoing a multi £b infrastructure refresh to deliver unique facilities to enable the creation of new products.
Within our Engineering Function we have opportunities across the following fields
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Building Services
- Chemical & Processing
- Civil & Construction
- Computational Engineering & Modelling
- Defence & Weapons Systems
- Electronics (including RF Radar)
- Facilities and Assets
- Guidance & Navigation
- Machine Tools
- Safety and Security (Surety)
- Structures inc. blast effects
Qualifications from HNC to PhD, and all points in between, will be considered for appropriate roles. Prior experience in nuclear defence is not necessary.
How we will expand and accelerate your career
Whatever your interests, and whatever stage you are in your career - we are likely to have a relevant role.
We will map your skills, knowledge and experience to vacancies linked to current and future nuclear warheads, nuclear threat reduction, manufacturing solutions and our building and infrastructure programme.
Your work at AWE will cover some or all of: concept generation, R&D, design, manufacture and processing, construction, assembly, testing & trials, commissioning, safety & reliability, maintenance.
Many roles will provide the opportunity to interact with our UK and overseas customers and partners, and could involve visits or secondments to the USA and France.
Due to AWE's critical role, further technical details of our work are classified. But rest assured, you will be doing remarkably interesting things as part of our expert engineering team!
If you are not yet a Chartered Engineering then we will support you (if you wish) to work towards professional registration. If you are already Chartered then we will support you to reach a senior level, such as Fellow, in your chosen Professional Engineering Institution.
AWE has a highly inclusive culture. You will be supported by colleagues and management to bring your unique contribution to our work. Equity, Diversity and Inclusion are prominent here. You can join any of our six staff-led ED&I working groups to help guide our values.
You will be continually developed through CPD, training and the annual career review process. There is the potential for secondments to areas of AWE outside of your day-to-day role.
You will gain a strong feeling of satisfaction that you are making a real difference to yourself, to AWE and to the safety and security of the UK.
What benefits will you receive?
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- Opportunity for overtime available at enhanced hourly rate
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
You must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role and be willing and able to work in designated areas, if applicable.
Further information on AWE can be found on our website.