SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £12.5 billion in low carbon projects over the next 5 years, our SSE Renewables (SSER) business continues to be at the forefront of our growth plans, and our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. We are proud to be playing a critical role in the net zero transition, as we aim to more than treble the net capacity in operation to 13GW and grow renewable energy output five-fold to over 50TWh over the next 10 years.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK or Ireland sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading, Havant, Belfast or Dublin.
Salary: Competitive dependant on skills and experience + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
As an HVDC Electrical Engineer, you will be responsible leading and coordinating electrical engineering deliverables for development and construction of offshore wind generation projects within the SSE Renewables business.
Some of your main responsibilities will include:
- Front-end electrical engineering design works associated with HVDC technology and equipment for use in project consenting and financial modelling activities.
- Development of electrical package contract documentation including management and preparation of HVDC specifications and key interface requirements.
- Writing, reviewing and updating technical specifications for HVDC work packages on offshore wind generation projects.
- Coordinating and managing project HVDC engineering works, ensuring correct technical specifications are prepared and applied to offshore wind generation projects.
- Review external contractors and consultants specifications, documentation and power system studies for the input to the procurement of long lead equipment to ensure SSE Renewables requirements are achieved.
- Management of 3rd parties for the effective delivery of specific engineering and design works required within the HVDC work package, and for the quality management and verification of their work and outcomes.
- Interpreting project objectives and requirements to develop the most appropriate techno-commercial design solution and technology choice.
- Provide technical expertise into design proposals and solutions
- Witnessing HVDC Equipment Factory Acceptance Testing.
- Represent SSE Renewables at supplier and interface meetings.
- Ensuring Health and Safety risks are identified and properly managed.
- Produce high quality technical reports as well as reviewing and commenting on work produced by others internal and external to SSE Renewables.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- We are looking for an experienced Electrical Engineer who specialises in HVDC technology. You will have significant knowledge of HVDC technology to provide expertise to the HVDC work packages for offshore wind generation projects. You will be a Chartered Engineer and a member of the Engineering Council or working towards this goal.
- You will have strong technical knowledge and experience of renewable electricity generation including technical knowledge of offshore wind power systems and their operation. You may also be utilised across offshore wind generation electrical work packages as dictated by workload.
- As an experienced HVDC engineer, you will have working knowledge of appropriate engineering legislation and industry good practice. You will have excellent report writing skills and an understanding of effective organisation capabilities to deliver quality work to the agreed timescales. You will have a strong understanding of commercial awareness in order to understand implications of engineering activities and decisions.
- You will pride yourself on your excellent organisational skills and ability to deliver the highest quality of work within the necessary timescales. You will have strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at various managerial levels within the business where you will be part of a large electrical engineering team within the SSE Renewables Offshore business.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Douglas on 01738 275199.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.