About the Role
Base Location: Portsmouth
Salary: £51,611 - £77,400 + car/cash allowance + performance related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Office based (Walton Park)
We are looking for a System Outage Manager to join our team!
The System Outage Manager manages the team granting access to the Extra High Voltage (EHV) electricity network.
You will be planning EHV plant and equipment outages, performing power system analysis studies and providing post-fault contingencies.
You will also be responsible for allowing as much access to the EHV network as is safely possible while ensuring customers supply is a secure as possible and protecting the companys position in OFGEMs Quality of Service Incentives.
This is an exciting opportunity as you will be at the forefront of enabling the SSE to meet its Net Zero ambitions.
Roles & responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Making decisions daily on system outages presented by your staff, which will impact on supply security for 100,000s of customers as well as to ensure SSENs high safety standards are maintained. Its a huge responsibility and we need you to actively promote safe working practice in your team, both in the office and on the network.
- Youll be responsible for:
- Compliance with the Distribution Codes Distribution Operating Code 2 (DOC2), which is one of SSENs licence conditions.
- The SEPD outage plan, aligning with National Grid Electricity System Operator (NGESO) plans
- and National Grid Electricity Transmission (NGET) outages.
- You will oversee EHV network outages have been scheduled, co-ordinated and updated and work closely with the newly formed Large Capital Delivery team and their contract partners to ensure the new GSP work model delivers work and outages safely and in co-ordination with other stakeholders who need system access.
- The System Outage Team is a specialised team and frequently new members will require extensive technical training to ensure they can safely and effectively perform their role. Using your advanced knowledge of EHV networks, as well as your technical abilities in analysing electrical networks, you will train Outage Planning Engineers to perform studies on individual outage requests, or combinations of outage requests.
- Regularly resolving conflicts in capital delivery outage plans, often complex with multiple affected parties (e.g. commercial implications for connected customers, managing relationships with third parties), and ensuring an optimum solution is achieved.
- As a Senior Manager within the Control Room you will also support the wider team especially during System Emergencies e.g. storm support
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- An excellent understanding of the Distribution and Transmission businesses as well as GB energy market
- A minimum of a degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent industry experience and ideally a Chartered Engineer.
- Great people management skills and a proven track record of leading, coaching and motivating teams.
- Be an experienced power systems engineer with expert knowledge in power system operation - especially safety from the system and power system analysis.
- Knowledge of statutory, regulatory & license requirements, industry wide codes & engineering standards related to the industry.
Regular travel is required and as a result we can only accept applications from candidates that hold a current driving licence.
About the Department
Our SSEN Distribution Asset Management team consists of Asset Risk Management and Equipment Specification. They are involved in running a programme of projects exploring new technologies and commercial arrangements across network activities and identifying practical solutions. They are also involved in operating some of the new solutions that have been developed by the innovation team. The project portfolio is predominantly funded by the Low Carbon Network Fund or the Network Innovation Allowance which requires considerable management and governance to ensure compliance.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.
Candidates for this role will be required to obtain vetting to SC level through UK Government. The criteria normally includes 5 years UK residency, further information can be found here: United Kingdom Security Vetting: Applicant - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)