MBDA is a leading defence organisation. We are proud of the role we play in supporting the Armed Forces who protect our nations. We partner with governments to work together towards a common goal, defending our freedom.Salary
: Up to £48,000 DOEWhat we can offer you:
Hybrid working pattern:
- Company bonus of up to £2,500 (based on company performance and will vary year to year)
- Pension of maximum total (employer and employee) contribution of up to 14%
- Paid overtime
- Up to 15 days flexi leave
- 25 days annual leave (plus holiday purchase)
- Possible relocation available
- Fantastic site facilities, including subsidised meals, free car parking and more
- Excellent career progression and development opportunities
Where possible, we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working; typically 2 to 3 days per week on site.
Sea Viper is currently going through its next phase of life with major upgrades proposed to be rolled out over the coming years. In support of this, a key role has arisen within the Sea Viper system design team for a System Design Engineer, to support the delivery of the next phases of the new business programmes.
The role would be reporting to the technical lead for the project. This is a high profile programme within MBDA and MOD, and as part of the team there are opportunities for engagement with senior partners in delivering the role.
The programme is just completing a two-year pre-development phase study to mature and de-risk the weapon system design to provide a brand-new capability. The programme is now going through a major bid activity for the next phases of development, with contract award expected this year.
A broad range of responsibilities include:
What we're looking for
- Supporting the development of the project requirement baseline, including flowing-down and supporting the agreement of sub-system requirements, ensuring a coherent and consistent system design alongside the wider evolving Sea Viper design;
- Supporting the development of the key interface baselines, including the data exchange specifications between Sea Viper C2 and the combat management system and radar, requiring engagement with the C2, CMS and radar design authorities;
- Supporting the progression of technical analyses and investigations of system-level issues and opportunities, including conduct of trade-off studies, and any key supporting system design studies required to de-risk the system design;
- Supporting key design reviews;
- Supporting the early system design verification and validation activities for the project, including supporting the development of a qualification strategy;
- Engagement with sub-system design authorities.
What's in it for you?
- Systems engineering background with some awareness and experience of different phases of the CADMID cycle from concept to manufacture, but with a focus on concept and assessment phases, including generating TRSs, interface definitions and early V&V planning;
- Awareness of industry standard systems engineering processes;
- Awareness of weapon system design concepts; some experience working on air defence systems desirable; some knowledge of C2, missile and radar design desirable;
- Ability to communicate with peers and external partner community;
- Ability to produce concise, coherent and detailed technical reports of a high quality;
- Ability to work confidently in the face of ambiguity and multiple conflicting priorities to be able to identify the priority tasks is desirable.
Join a great team!
- You would be one of the engineers responsible for developing a high profile and key capability for the Royal Navy;
- The role covers a wide range of engineering experience, including weapon system, C2, radar and missile design; you would be working at the cutting edge of weapon system design;
- The wider Sea Viper programme works in a dynamic environment with its customer, with a host of different day-to-day activities;
- MBDA offers flexible working between the office and home, agreed as required and to meet the business needs.
You would be joining a well-established team with a great team spirit; the team has a wealth of experience that has been built up over the many years of Sea Viper development and in-service support, providing a great opportunity to develop your knowledge and experience of the area defence domain, with everyone more than willing to share knowledge with others.Our Business:
We respect new perspectives and experiences, and we value our collaborative ways of working. We are committed to growing and supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity to reach their potential.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information. Please Note
: MBDA UK Limited requires all employees to achieve the required medical and national security clearance for their role. Further restrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to work may also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidates will need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), which are managed by the MBDA Personnel Security Team.
Due to the nature of our business, this particular vacancy requires the applicant as a minimum to be a British Citizen or a Dual UK national with British citizenship and capable of achieving the clearance levels mentioned above.