At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an enthusiastic technical engineer looking to acquire experience in a high-tech environment, working on cutting edge superconducting RF problems? Take Part!
You will join the Accelerator Systems Department (SY), which is responsible for the beam-related technical systems of the CERN accelerators. The SY teams design, build and operate equipment systems in all CERN accelerators, and are engaged in ambitious forward-looking R&D programmes. You will be working within the RF Group, in the SRF Section.
As an RF technical engineer, you will be part of a team working on superconducting RF devices with the aim of assembling, maintaining and testing high-performance superconducting radio-frequency components and infrastructure for CERN’s accelerators, including present and future projects.
- Maintain and operate special facilities such as the ultrapure water production plant, high pressure rinsing systems, clean room technical systems;
- Design and realise special instrumentation and test setups, both for RF measurements and for slow controls and interlocks;
- Prepare and carry out warm and cold tests and measurements of superconducting RF devices (cavities, ancillaries, and cryomodules);
- Support operation of the superconducting RF accelerating structures installed in CERN accelerators: LHC, and HIE ISOLDE;
- Follow up procurements, qualification and acceptance of SRF cavities and cryomodules;
- Produce quality control procedures and document test results.
Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electrical engineering or a related field.
- Experience in maintenance and operation of complex technical infrastructure;
- Proven experience in the field of qualification tests of superconducting RF cavities for particle accelerators would be an asset.
- Installation, operation and maintenance of industrial data-acquisition, monitoring and control systems;
- Knowledge and application of instrumentation and measurement techniques;
- Operation and maintenance of RF components and systems;
- Design of high-frequency electronics and microwave circuits;
- Assembly of electronic crates, racks and cabinets.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Demonstrating accountability: working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 12 midday on 06.10.2023.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and official holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Job grade: 4-5
Job reference: SY-RF-SRF-2022-132-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electrical Technical Engineer