SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £18 billion in low carbon projects to 2027, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
base Location: Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth and Reading
Salary: £61,100 - £91,700 + car allowance and performance-related bonus and a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
This is senior role within SSE IT where the role holder will have the ability to made a significant difference to the way in which the IT function is run and its overall efficiency. You will need to work collaboratively with the senior leadership of the IT, Finance, and BU IT delivery functions to build a strategic plan to optimise costs across the whole IT portfolio. You will be responsible for defining the cost optimisation opportunities and tracking the progress of the plan. Will also be responsible for ensuring that the all IT run and change costs can be captured and reported on from within the IT business management systems. In order to do this will you will ideally have significant experience of working within a similar role within FTSE 100 IT function, consultancy, finance function or accounting practice where the focus has been on insight driven cost optimisation and reduction. As part of the ambition to optimise spend you will also be responsible for leading the FinOps team, supporting them to improve the understanding and utilisation of FinOps tools and practices across the business.
You will also be responsible for the IT cost reporting team that will deliver spend insight for cost centre managers and delivery leads, including identifying and acting on cost saving opportunities. They'll also identify, implement, and influence best practice cost management across the IT Group. They'll be responsible for leading the Apptio systems team to deliver reporting in line with customer requirements.
What we want you to do.
- Identify, act upon, and track cost saving opportunities
- Work with senior IT leaders to implement the cost savings opportunities
- Identify, document, roll out and influence best cost management practice across the IT group, through effective collaboration and communication
- Oversee the delivery of process initiatives that will underpin IT's cost management strategy and enable IT to manage its cost base much more effectively, whilst championing a 'no surprises' change management culture
- Secure and maintain support from key stakeholders (including Group CIO and Director of DSTC & Group Finance)
- Translate complex solutions to simple, transparent, and measurable plans with milestones and clearly defined accountabilities.
What we need from you.
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Significant expertise in IT cost optimisation and management, spend insights, and project reporting (capex / opex). Experience in establishing and implementing best practice in these areas across an IT business
- Experience of working with and rolling out a technology Business management system (Apptio or similar system) is highly desirable
- Deep experience of optimising cloud consumption costs (Cloud FinOps), experience of Cloud health or similar is desireable
- Deep expertise in all aspects of implementation of complex and cross functional projects, including project management, change management and project monitoring
- Extensive change/transformation experience with a proven track record in planning, executing, controlling and closing projects
- Significant experience of setting up, managing, developing, and improving reporting and processes for successful change management and transformation.
- Experience in supporting change in a complex environment persuading and influencing key stakeholders
- Significant and demonstrable experience in delivering change and transformational projects
About our Business
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security - we power SSE's growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact David on 01738 275 846.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.