SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £18 billion in low carbon projects to 2027, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
About the Role
Base Location: Base Location: Reading, Thatcham, Havant, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Perth and Inverness
Salary: £62,324 - £71,370 and a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
We are looking for passionate IT professionals to join our dynamic new, young team that is responsible for maintaining and enhancing applications that are used across the SSE landscape. You will be working in a fun, self-managing Agile team with a strong culture of teamwork, support and accountability.
The Lead DevOps Engineer plays a pivotal role in the development and maintenance of applications and infrastructure to facilitate speedy software development and deployment. With a unique combination of technical support and IT operations, they ensure that critical applications and products are consistently improved and updated to align with business requirements. They will also help to identify and resolve complex incidents and problems while devising technical solutions that cater to the needs of the business.
You will be:
- Designing, developing and maintaining web applications (NodeJS & Angular) with a focus of the whole application systems and services (front end and backend).
- Coaching and leading by example within the Continuous Improvement team to add value to our products through development and release processes.
- Being a technical lead by turning the product backlog into workable solutions in line with, or via change of, the system design. Working with the team to define, develop, test and deliver business outcomes.
- Defining, implementing and maintaining development standards in line with specifications.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would need you to have:
- Considerable, relevant DevOps experience with proven experience in software engineering.
- Experience with designing, building, and operating solutions using Azure cloud technologies and automated data driven testing.
- Excellent technical computing, analysis, design and development skills to a proven professional level.
- Experience in using source control management such as Git.
- Experience in using software testing methodologies including unit testing, integration testing, system testing and vulnerability testing and tools such as Selenium.
- Extensive experience of developing using Azure components including: Microsoft Visual Studio, Data Factory, HDInsight, SQL DB/DW, NoSQL, SSIS, ETL Tooling.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Experience with agile development and strong understanding of Azure service principles.
- Ability to investigate and analyse information, and to draw conclusions.
- Technical debugging skills to find the causes of any production issues.
- Fully conversant with Agile and DevOps development methodology and concepts, including CI/CD Coding, security testing best practice and standards.
- Experience developing CI/CD workflows and tools.
- Experience with incident management.
About our Business
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security - we power SSE's growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact David on 01738 275846.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.