AWE has an exciting opportunity for a Mechanical Engineer to work within the Trials, Test and Epure (TT&E) delivery area to ensure specialist equipment including pressure and vacuum vessel and other trials equipment is available to support the UKs nuclear deterrent. The successful candidate will work on a variety of challenging projects to assemble, operate, maintain design and substantiate equipment used in explosively driven experiments.
Role: Mechanical Engineer
Location: Reading/Basingstoke area plus frequent UK travel
Package: £27,960 - £41,940 (depending upon skills and qualifications)
Closing Date: 06th October 2023
What does this role entail?
The successful candidate will assist the trials team in the building of complex mechanical assemblies used in explosive trials. These systems will include pressure and vacuum systems, electrical and mechanical diagnostic systems and complex alignment techniques. Safe systems of work (SSOW) will need to be produced and followed for all operations and technical reports produced on trial results.
This role will involve working on AWE's main sites and offsite ranges across the country, this will involve significant amounts of travel and offsite project dependant. The candidate will be responsible for the assembly, testing and certification of these systems working with contractors and other AWE teams to deliver the trial.
To gain a well-rounded skill set the candidate will also gain experience working in the wider TT&E area this will include completing packages of work including operation and maintenance of trials equipment, explosive assemblies, and diagnostics systems.
Candidates with strong Mechanical Engineering knowledge and experience from a variety of industries are urged to apply but the successful candidate must be willing to develop the knowledge and experience required of the role. Full support and training will be provided however.
This position will be one with development opportunities to progress to supervisor, trials lead and possibly a role within design and substantiation.
What will you be responsible for?
- Support the delivery of offsite explosive trials to test designs
- Under supervision contribute to the delivery of conceptual designs, detail designs, manufacturing specifications, operational documentation and validation evidence for mechanical engineering solutions in relation to defined requirements
- Contribute to the production and delivery of high-quality technical reports and presentations
- Identify and support opportunities for cost savings, efficiency and business improvement
- Assist the Technical Lead in managing partnerships
- Support the Senior Engineers in scoping, planning, and estimating future activities
- Organises own training and development under the guidance of a professional mentor
What benefits will I receive?
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
What skills/experience will I need to be considered?
- Hold a degree in a relevant STEM discipline or an HNC/HND or NVQ Level 3 qualification supported by relevant experience (either will be considered)
- Experience of mechanical assembly and disassembly of complex systems
- Proficient in production of technical reports
- Awareness of engineering design
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral)
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Willingness to travel both in the UK and Internationally
- Fully UK driving licence
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.