Transport for London (TfL) Engineering are looking for engineers to join the Power Team to help shape the future of the Power Network across TfL. On the Underground, DLR, Trams, TfL Rail and Crossrail (Elizabeth Line), the Power Team are involved in projects to maintain, renew, upgrade and extend the Power Systems which support travel across London. This is about connecting communities and creating opportunities, so we’re sustainable and ready for the 21st century and beyond.
In this role you will collaborate with the teams across TfL to develop and implement complex engineering solutions safely, and within cost limitations. Working together, you will undertake engineering design activities, design reviews as well as provide technical guidance and advice as a trusted source of engineering expertise.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- BEng/MEng Degree in a relevant engineering subject, or HND with relevant design experience.
- Experience of undertaking and reviewing concept and detailed designs for LVAC power systems and switchroom installations.
- Experience of producing and reviewing LVAC protection calculations.
- Knowledge of legislation, national and international standards relevant to electrical engineering.
- Able to write technical reports in a clear and succinct style.
- Able to undertake surveys of power distribution assets.
- Able to communicate both orally and written with a variety of audiences.
- Chartered Engineer or working towards Chartered status.
- Experience working on London Underground or Network Rail infrastructure projects.
- Experience of assessing existing power systems and defining upgrades to meet increased load demand.
- Experience of Power system modelling (e.g., MTS, Neplan, ERACs, ETap).
- Experience of writing technical specifications in the power distribution area.
- Experience of working through the full lifecycle of a project from design through to installation, test & commissioning and handover.
- Knowledge of earthing & bonding arrangements and the interface between different earthing systems.
- Knowledge of Operations and Maintenance requirements for LVAC power systems.
- Knowledge of engineering safety management and its application within the railway environment.
It’s also important you bring a passion for the TfL Vision and strategy as well as your technical expertise. So come and bring your passion as an Engineer to TfL.
We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We want to represent the city we serve, which will help us become a more innovative and efficient organisation. Our goal is to make our recruitment as inclusive as possible. We are a disability confident employer who guarantee an interview to any disabled candidate who meets all of the essential criteria. We also use anonymising software that removes identifying information from CVs and cover letters to make the process fair.
Please apply using your most recent CV and Cover Letter. We encourage you to apply for the position that is most relevant to your existing skills, knowledge and experience as shortlisting is carried out on the basis of how well you meet the criteria for the role.
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
- Final salary pension scheme.
- Free travel for you on the TfL network.
- 75% reimbursement of the cost of a standard class Ticket for National Rail travel from home.
- 30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays.
- TfL is committed to work-life balance, operating a hybrid working approach where business and role requirements allow.
- Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional).
- Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme.
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers.
- Discounted Eurostar travel.
The closing date for applications is Sunday 22 October 2023 @ 23:59.