SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £18 billion in low carbon projects to 2027, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
This role is within our Networks Distribution IT team supporting our Digital Strategy and Vision to be a progressive network owner, using digital to enhance social and economic value, deliver a leading experience for our customers and to enable the energy system to support net zero carbon emissions.
Join us on our journey to net zero and help us power change.
About the Role
Base Location: Portsmouth or Reading.
Salary: £44,195 - £50,611 + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
SSE Networks Distribution Digital team provides IT application and development support for a large number of diverse applications. This role is predominantly based around the support of the SSEN Distribution website and associated services/API's, Microsoft Azure function apps/logic apps, DevOps pipelines and Microsoft Power Platform support.
As a Developer, your main role will be support and maintain software applications, platforms and systems, and to configure and support off-the-shelf software products to meet the needs of the business. Wherever necessary, you will be required to learn and develop the skills that are needed to fully support the role.
This role involves working closely with stakeholders to understand their requirements and translate them into technical specifications, while assisting in the writing/ configuring, testing and debugging of code to support/create functional software solutions.
Key requirements in this role will include:
- Collaborating with stakeholders to understand user requirements and business needs.
- Supporting and testing software solutions to meet those requirements and needs.
- Maintaining technical documentation, including user manuals and technical specifications.
- Following best practices for software development, including coding standards, source control, and testing methodologies.
What do I need?
To be eligible for this position, we are looking for candidates with existing skills or a base understanding and strong interest in developing the following:
- A solid understanding of software analysis, design and development, ideally experience with C# and .NET frameworks and SQL Server.
- Full understanding of the software development life cycle.
- Experience in effectively collaborating with both technical and non-technical people to deliver complex technical solutions within agile environments.
- A proactive approach with the ability to prioritise your own workload within demanding schedules and a systematic, disciplined and analytical approach to problem solving.
- A willingness to learn any skills required to fulfil the role and to stay up to date with trends across Azure and Microsoft 365 technologies.
About our Business
SSE IT underpins the technology needs of all the different businesses that make up the SSE group. From emerging technologies to data and analytics to cyber security - we power SSE's growth and enable it to generate value, while keeping it secure. As a trusted business partner that helps SSE lead in a low carbon world, we are proud of our service. Working for SSE IT is all about equipping SSE for now and the future.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Laura on 01738 341814.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.