BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments. Senior Hardware Electronics Engineer
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Launched in 2022, Digital Intelligence is part of BAE Systems, and has a rich heritage in helping to defend nations and businesses around the world from advanced threats.
The Cross-Domain team deliver high performance appliances for the Defensive Cyber market. We develop from a blank sheet with security as a primary consideration, designing the whole appliance from high performance C++, embedded software, FPGA firmware (VHDL), custom PCBs, power distribution, and thermal management. All of which has to deliver a reliable, supportable, and maintainable capability for our customers. What you will be doing (role duties and responsibilities)
You will work with a team of highly-skilled engineers from a range of backgrounds and contributing the design and implementation of electronics systems. We design and deliver high-performance systems, generating interesting and complex electronics design challenges. Depending on your experience level, you might use your skills and experience to lead teams of engineers to design, implement and deliver electronic systems. Or, as an early-years professional, you might develop your electronics skills as part of a dynamic and skilled engineering team, working towards taking on ever-greater project responsibility.
We’d like to hear from people who have experience in some or all of the following areas:
What we are looking for (skills and experience)
- High speed digital and support logic PCB design: We develop a wide range of boards supporting high bandwidth network traffic processing. The designs include the latest generation of FPGAs, power distribution and system monitoring.
- FPGA Integration: Our PCBs host multiple FPGAs supporting the latest memory technologies and high speed networking interfaces.
- Mechanical and system integration: We design enclosures to incorporate our PCBs and other subsystems. The designs have to be easily assembled and provide for cooling and protection in challenging environments. This work often involves environmental and compliance testing.
- Systems: Our solutions comprise of a blend of hardware, firmware (FPGA) and software. Early in the development lifecycle you will be involved in the design activity responsible for partitioning the functionality in to these domains taking into account the system requirements and constraints.
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with the following characteristics:
- Highly motivated with a strong academic background, typically in Electronics; or significant relevant experience.
- A keen interest in the cyber or defence sector and awareness of latest industry developments.
- Significant experience of delivering high speed digital designs.
- Understanding of the principles of practical electronics and PCB circuit design and layout.
- Ability to fault find and debug problems in a logical and thorough manner.
- Good inter-personal skills; able to work well in a dynamic, collaborative team.
- Experience of FPGA or software development , e.g. VHDL, C/C++, Python
- Understanding of the principles of mechanical design. Experience with 3D CAD would be an advantage, but is not essential.
- Experience of designing products for production and for real world use outside a lab.
- Experience of designing products for environmental and compliance testing and knowledge of the relevant standards.
How we will support you:
- Comfortable working on multiple projects at the same time and in a dynamic environment where deadlines and priorities are changeable.
- Experience of working within multi-disciplinary development teams in a project-based environment.
- Experience of small team or task leadership
- Work-life balance is important; you’ll get 25 days holiday a year and, via our flexible benefits package the option to buy/sell and carry over from the year before
- Our flexible benefits package includes; private medical and dental insurance, a competitive pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, taste cards and more
- You’ll have a dedicated Career Manager to help you develop your career and guide you on your journey through BAE
- Don’t know a particular technology? Your learning and development is key to your future career
- You’ll be part of our bonus scheme
- You are welcome to join any/all of our Diversity and Support groups. These groups cover everything from gender diversity to mental health and wellbeing.
Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. Due to the nature of our work, successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.