AWE is currently recruiting for an X-Ray Machine Operator to support a fast-paced Operational Trials & Test delivery area. This role will be located in our joint research facility located on a site operated by the French CEA's military applications division (DAM), in France, Valduc. EPURE enables France and the United Kingdom to have an enhanced radiographic and hydrodynamic capability to underwrite the reliability and safety of their nuclear warheads. This facility is designed to conduct explosively driven hydrodynamic trials in a safe and secure manner, with state-of-the-art diagnostics.
The X-Ray Operations Team provides trained and experienced personnel to jointly operate three high performance flash X-ray machines with our French colleagues at EPURE. The team are tasked by a French task manager and line managed by an AWE manager. All tasking to meet nation specific customer demands are prescribed within an agreed Joint Operating Schedule (JOS). The team are highly motivated and talented people who have a vast collective experience in the relevant areas.
Location: EPURE, France (North of Dijon)
Salary: £33,770 - £50,650 pa (will depend on your level of experience and suitability)
Allowances: Individual allowance package provided on assignment to France.
Closing Date: 18th October 2023
To be able to apply for this role meet the following requirements:
- Ability to deploy to France for between 5-8 years.
- Current driving licence (public transport to site limited).
- Full DV already held (no scope for SC).
- Willing to work in a high hazard environment.
- Medically fit to work in radiological and explosive controlled areas, including the wearing of negative pressure respirator.
What will you get from us?
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Maternity Leave- 39 Weeks Full Pay & Paternity Leave- 4 Weeks Full Pay!
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
As part of a joint UK/FR integrated team you will be providing expert engineering/scientific input to operate and maintain optimum performance of the three high-power X-ray machines used in hydrodynamics experiments. Members of the joint X-Ray Operations Team work on subject areas ranging from the fielding and analysis of diagnostics, operating and maintaining vacuum and laser trigger systems to modelling and simulation of electron beam physics. Pulsed power technicians and engineers assist and manage a team of dedicated external contractors performing preventative maintenance.
A specialised training programme will be available in the UK prior to deployment and will continue in France. Those who enjoy working as part of a multi-disciplinary, multi-national team, will spend at least 5 years working full time in France.
X-Ray Machine Operator Key Accountabilities:
- Accountable for the delivery of agreed personal objectives safely and securely to meet our operational plans.
- Work with the appropriate project teams to facilitate commissioning and handover activities.
- To provide knowledge and technical expertise in the field of Pulsed Power, proposing solutions to solve technical challenges.
- Maintain awareness of health and safety matters relating to the conventional high hazards associated with operating high voltage pulsed power systems. Follow regulatory and program requirements to support radiological safety as a classified radiation worker.
- Promote a high standard of personal behaviours concerning security and quality and be a great team member.
- Additional accountabilities for this job profile may develop over time with the progression of the programme.
What will you need to be considered for the role of X-Ray Machine Operator?
- ONC/HNC (or equivalent experienced) qualified individuals, in an engineering, science or operations discipline, with practical experience in an experimental or operational environment.
- Strong communication skills (written and oral).
- Strong organisational and problem-solving skills.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.