SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £18 billion in low carbon projects to 2027, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK or Ireland sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading, Havant, Belfast or Dublin.
Salary: Competitive + performance-related bonus + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
As a Senior Geotechnical Engineer you will play a key role in our Offshore Engineering Team, providing technical expertise and guidance for one of the largest renewables projects in the world.
As part of this role, you will be integrated into a multi-disciplinary team and have some of the following responsibilities:
- Planning, management, and delivery of geotechnical engineering activities including foundation design, cable installation/design, laboratory testing, interpretative reporting, and ground modelling.
- Direct support to live foundation installation activities, including the assessment of piling/installation records, support to risk management, and providing recommendations to non-technical project colleagues.
- Driving the development of a geotechnical strategy, providing optimised delivery, pro-active project risk management and supporting the production of a wider project programme.
- Continual appraisal of new methodologies, technologies, and industry best practice.
- Supporting projects by ensuring full compliance with statutory and Company Health, Safety, Environmental and Sustainability standards.
What do I need?
We would love you to be educated to Masters degree level in Geotechnical Engineering or Engineering Geology and have a comprehensive understanding of the legislation, design, and operational standards associated with offshore wind development. Ideally, you should be Chartered or close to submission though relevant and applicable experience is considered of equal value.
Experience of working in an offshore wind developer is preferred, however you may have exposure to offshore wind development through working at a specialist consultancy or contractor.
Due to the varied nature of this role, we would also like you to have experience in many of the following areas:
- Offshore wind foundation and/or anchor design and an appreciation of the common design codes and standards.
- Offshore ground investigation and laboratory test scheduling - both standard and advanced.
- Interpretation of ground investigation results: ground modelling, unitisation, parameter selection, and design profile generation.
- Geo hazard and risk management.
- Offshore Wind Farm project development and construction.
- Managing projects and working independently with the ability to effectively prioritise your workload.
Above all else, we are looking for someone with outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and a desire to work as part of an ambitious and motivated Geosciences team. The ability to present on technical topics to a varied audience, accompanied by, a consistently positive and innovative mind set is considered the key requirement for this role.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Douglas on 01738 275199.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.