Bristol MBDA is a leading defence organisation that is proud to support our Armed Forces in protecting our nations. We collaborate with governments to achieve a shared goal of defending our freedom.Salary
: Circa £55,000
depending on experienceWhat we can offer you:
Hybrid working pattern:
- Company bonus of up to £2,500 (based on company performance and will vary year to year)
- Pension of maximum total (employer and employee) contribution of up to 14%
- Paid overtime
- Up to 15 days flexi leave
- 25 days annual leave (plus holiday purchase)
- Fantastic site facilities, including subsidised meals, free car parking and much more
- Excellent career progression and development opportunities
- Flexible working arrangements
- We may be able to offer a relocation package for this role
Where possible, we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working.The opportunity:
You will join a team of intelligent systems, autonomous systems and command and control (C2) engineers. The team develops and evaluates algorithms spanning a range of domains from on-board, autonomous decision making, to off-board C2 algorithms. Our algorithms are central to the design of sophisticated guided weapon systems products. These algorithms are developed throughout the lifecycle of the product and include research studies to investigate algorithms for future developments.
Intelligent Autonomous Systems (IAS) Engineers are involved in the lifecycle of projects, playing a pivotal role in our product developments including:
What we're looking for from you:
- Technical development of specific algorithms or studies for key programmes within MBDA
- Feasibility studies, algorithm design and trade-off studies, preparing trials, trials analysis and reporting, defining architecture, validating algorithms and models
- Technical assessments and investigations into a full range of issues and problems and prepare and develop solutions either solely or as a member of a project team
- Engaging with the algorithm users, understanding and responding to their needs and ensure that the algorithms are fit for purpose
- Degree/PhD level qualification in related area or a degree with mathematical content and programming skills
- Relevant experience (Post-Doctoral or industrial) in robotics, data fusion, tracking/estimation, pattern discovery & recognition, statistical inference, optimisation and machine/deep learning algorithms along with real-time implementation, and/or validation & verification is a strong advantage
- Experience in Matlab, Simulink and/or Stateflow, Python including PyTorch, TensorFlow, Open AI-Gym/Universe or Model Based Design would be desirable
We encourage our IAS Engineers to cultivate a broad and in-depth knowledge across a variety of fields and topics. However, specific knowledge or experience in any of these areas is of benefit:
- Robotics, guidance and autonomous decision making, e.g. Routing and motion/trajectory planning, optimisation, co-ordinated guidance and control, decision theory, MDPs/POMDPs, specialist systems, game theory, decision support systems, multi-agent systems
- Data fusion and state estimation/tracking algorithms e.g. Kalman Filtering, multiple-model tracking methods, particle filters, grid-based estimation methods, Multi-Object-Multi-Sensor Fusion, data-association, random finite sets, Bayesian belief networks, Dempster-Shafer theory of evidence
- Machine Learning for regression and pattern recognition/discovery problems e.g. Gaussian processes, latent variable methods, support vector machines, probabilistic/statistical models, neural networks, Bayesian inference, random-forests, novelty detection, clustering
- Deep Learning e.g. Deep reinforcement learning, Monte-Carlo tree search, deep regression/classification, deep embeddings, recurrent Networks, natural language processing
- Computer Vision algorithms e.g. Structure from motion, image Based navigation, SLAM, pose estimation/recovery
To be considered for the Stevenage office, applicants are required to possess a significant level of relevant experience. Our Business:
We value new perspectives, collaboration, and diversity. We are committed to growing and supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity to reach their potential.
We encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information. Please Note
: MBDA UK Limited requires all employees to achieve the required medical and national security clearance for their role. Further restrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to work may also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidates will need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), which are managed by the MBDA Personnel Security Team.
Due to the nature of our business, this particular vacancy requires the applicant as a minimum to be a British Citizen or a Dual UK national with British citizenship and capable of achieving the clearance levels mentioned above.