SSE has big ambitions to be a leading energy company in a low carbon world. Following our commitment to invest £18 billion in low carbon projects to 2027, we have significant growth plans and are well on our way to achieving our ambition to build a world that's more sustainable and inclusive for you, your family, the community you live in and for generations to come. We are proud to be playing a critical role in the net zero transition, as we aim to more than treble the net capacity in operation to 13GW and grow renewable energy output five-fold to over 50TWh over the next 10 years.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK or Ireland sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading, Havant, Belfast or Dublin.
Salary: £44,100 - £66,100 dependent upon experience + car/cash allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent or Fixed Term Contract or Secondment | Full Time or Part Time | Flexible First options available
As SSE Renewables continues to expand and diversify its generation portfolio it is important that all new value enhancing technology is identified, evaluated and where appropriate implemented to both reduce energy cost and improve renewables penetration.
Reporting to the Onshore Emerging Technology Manager, as a Technology Engineer you will be responsible to track technologies, identify opportunities and manage implementation of technology that may be either low TRL or new to SSE. Youll be a key figure in the future of renewable energy generation with a focus on early-stage quantitative assessments to enable SSE Renewables to grow in a sustainable manner. As a member of this team you will contribute to us solving a range of industry challenges on the path to net zero, which include:
- How should the onshore energy park of the future be designed to combine renewable energy generation technologies to reduce the cost of energy?
- How could today's low TRL technologies be de-risked for their integration in future renewable energy sites?
- How could SSE Renewables harness the power of digital engineering to manage a large and diverse mix of assets across multiple countries?
- Capture project/product requirements from internal and external stakeholders to enable efficient and structured engineering assessments to be carried out.
- Conduct early-stage quantitative assessments to evaluate the potential for technologies to reduce the cost of energy and increase the sustainability of onshore generation. These assessments could include, but are not limited to, cost modelling and sustainability assessments and will be used to justify further work.
- Support the planning and delivery of the engineering activities required to underpin a feasibility study, including cost of energy modelling, lifecycle analysis and supply chain mapping.
- Contribute to and lead on business case development with the aim of unlocking internal and external funding to demonstrate emerging technologies.
- Maintain strategic partnerships with third parties, including new supply chain partners, academic institutes and Research Technology Organisations.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Experience of working with low- to mid-TRL technologies and new engineering/technology concepts and developing those from concept, through optioneering to prototype demonstration.
- Knowledge and capabilities of carrying out quantitative engineering assessments, including levelized cost of energy modelling and lifecycle analysis/costing.
- Excellent communication skills to be able to sell opportunities to stakeholders at all management levels and strong collaboration skills to be able to work with a range of stakeholders, both internally and externally.
- A degree qualification in relevant engineering subject or equivalent experience in a similar role with a passion for renewable energy and delivering a low carbon future.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Douglas on 01738 275199
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.