Location(s): UK, Europe & Africa : UK : London || UK, Europe & Africa : UK : London-CS
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,500 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 10 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
Are you passionate about working with cutting-edge technology and self-motivated to find innovative solutions to complex challenges as part of a team who help keep the UK safe? Join BAE Systems as an experienced Software Engineer.
As a key member of a Software Engineering team, you’ll be working with our National Security Customers to build systems that support their core mission capabilities. You’ll work as part of empowered, autonomous DevOps teams with regular contact with end-users to flexibly and efficiently understand, design, develop, deploy and maintain applications and services. You’ll be encouraged to identify new ways of solving problems and get to work in a range of different teams across our customer organisations. You’ll be part of the biggest defence company in the UK however we have a startup-like culture nurtured by sports and social clubs, being a safe place to fail, meaning and self-fulfilment over business, and learning from our partners, suppliers, and peers.
We fully embrace DevOps ways of working in our teams, and build a very broad range of capabilities for our customers. We therefore value Engineers who enjoy playing a role in the full delivery lifecycle and are flexible to learn and pick up new technologies and approaches. You’ll be playing a role in identifying the right technologies to use for the job and be supported with training as needed through access to services such as Pluralsight.
Not only will your team be directly making a huge impact upon the systems you work on, you’ll be doing it for an organisation who makes a huge impact to the security of the UK. About you
You will have experience in many of the following:
- Collaboratively designing and building Proof of Concept or Production systems
- Source controlling your code with Version Control Systems, for example Git, Mercurial, Perforce
- Utilising CI/CD tools, such as Bamboo, Jenkins, TeamCity, Bitbucket, in order to streamline delivery of new features and fixes
- Continual testing of code using Automated Testing Frameworks
- Ensuring code consistency and quality by utilising static code analysis tools e.g. SonarQube
- Team working inside an agile environment e.g. Scrum, Lean, Kanban
- Common software design patterns
- Using precedent and your own creativity to solve our client's challenges!
It would be great if you also had experience in some of these, but if not we’ll help you with them
- Machine Learning software e.g. Amazon and Azure machine learning, or Google's TensorFlow
- Deploying and managing in Cloud Computing such as AWS, MS Azure
- Containerisation e.g. Docker, Kubernetes
- Relational, document, or graph database systems
- Software configuration and deployment e.g. Ansible
As a Software Engineer an active DV security clearance is required for this vacancy. How we will support you
About our team
- Work-life balance is important; you can work around core hours with flexible and part-time working, and many of our roles include hybrid working enabling a mix of working from home and in the office
- You’ll get 25 days holiday a year and the option to buy/sell and carry over from the year before
- Our flexible benefits package includes private medical and dental insurance, a competitive pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, taste cards and more
- You’ll have a dedicated Career Manager to help you develop your career and guide you on your journey through BAE
- You’ll be part of our company bonus scheme
- You are welcome to join any/all of our Diversity and Support groups. These groups cover everything from gender diversity to mental health and wellbeing.
Our people are what differentiates us, they are resourceful, innovative and dedicated. We have a mix of generalists and specialists and recognise that this diversity contributes to our success. We recognise the benefits of forming teams from a mix of disciplines, which allows us to come up with cutting edge, high quality solutions. Our breadth of work across the Public Sector provides diverse opportunities for our people to develop their careers in new areas of expertise and with new clients.
You’ll be part of a big company, but we try to create a culture that feels like a small one. The work will stretch you and be challenging, but we encourage a healthy work-life balance. Most of all, we know teams who work well together also perform well. We’ll do everything we can to ensure you have fun at work, and in social activities outside of it whether that’s virtually or in person, as conditions allow.
We have a rich history of working within National Security. In fact, we have over 40 years’ experience of delivering advice and solutions to our customers in this sector, supporting them in carrying out their vital missions. Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.