MBDA is a leading defence organisation. We are proud of the role we play in supporting the Armed Forces who protect our nations. We partner with governments to work together towards a common goal, defending our freedom.Salary:
Up to £57,000 depending on experienceWhat we can offer you:
Hybrid working pattern
- Company bonus of up to £2,500 (based on company performance and will vary year to year)
- Pension of maximum total (employer and employee) contribution of up to 14%
- Paid overtime
- Up to 15 days flexi leave
- 25 days annual leave (plus holiday purchase)
- Possible relocation available
- Fantastic site facilities, including subsidised meals, free car parking and more
- Excellent career progression and development opportunities
: Where possible, we will seek to accommodate a blended approach to on-site and remote working.
Sea Viper is currently going through its next phase of life with major upgrades proposed to be rolled out over the coming years.In support of this, a key role has arisen within the Sea Viper system design team to support the delivery of the next phases of the new business programmes.A system design & verification manager role has opened up in the team to lead key elements of the system design & verification activities for the first increment of the major capability update to the system. The role would be reporting to the head of system design. This is a high profile programme within MBDA and MOD, and as part of the team you will engage with many senior stakeholders in delivering the role.
The programme is just completing a two-year pre-development phase study to mature and de-risk the weapon system design to provide a brand new capability. The programme is now going through a major bid activity for the next phases of development, with contract award expected next year.
A broad range of responsibilities include:
What we're looking for
- Development of a coherent weapon system design baseline, including identification and management of design queries, and ensuring a coherent and consistent system design alongside the wider evolving Sea Viper design;
- Development of a qualification strategy;
- Management of the project requirement baseline, ensuring flow-down and agreement of sub-system requirements;
- Management of the key interface baselines, including the data exchange specifications between Sea Viper C2 and the combat management system and radar, requiring management of the relationships with the C2, CMS and radar design authorities;
- Management of technical analyses and investigations of system-level issues and opportunities, including conduct of trade-off studies, and any key supporting system design studies required to de-risk the system design;
- Management and conduct of key design reviews;
- Management of the system design verification and validation activities for the project;
- Management of complex relationships, both at a customer interaction level and the industry partners and suppliers, including management of relevant customer working groups;
- Management of key relationships with sub-system design authorities;
- Management of the systems team resource required to support the delivery of the above responsibilities.
What's in it for you?
- Broad systems engineering background covering phases of the CADMID cycle from concept to manufacture, including generating TRSs, interface definitions, V&V planning, trials planning, qualification evidence generation and collation, generation of certification documents;
- Detailed knowledge of MBDA's system engineering processes;
- Broad knowledge of weapon system design concepts; experience working on air defence systems desirable; knowledge of C2, missile and radar design desirable;
- Ability to establish and maintain efficient and effective working relationships with stakeholders including MoD PT, WECA, MWC, DSTL, QinetiQ, BAES (Naval Ships and Maritime Services);
- Ability to communicate effectively across numerous levels of the stakeholder community;
- Ability to communicate effectively with subordinates, peers and seniors across MBDA;
- Ability to produce concise, coherent and detailed technical reports of a high quality;
- Ability to work autonomously and proactively, with minimal management support;
- Ability to lead and motivate a high performing team;
- Ability to work confidently in the face of ambiguity and multiple conflicting priorities to be able to identify the priority tasks and communicate effectively to the team.
- You would be one of the lead engineers responsible for delivering a high profile and key capability to the Royal Navy;
- The role covers a wide range of engineering experience, including weapon system, C2, radar and missile design; you would be working at the cutting edge of weapon system design;
- The wider Sea Viper programme works in a dynamic environment with its customer, with a host of different day-to-day activities;
- MBDA offers flexible working between the office and home, agreed as required and to meet the business needs.
We respect new perspectives and experiences, and we value our collaborative ways of working. We are committed to growing and supporting diversity in our workforce and ensuring everyone has an equal opportunity to reach their potential.
We recognise that everyone is unique, and we encourage you to speak to us should you require any advice, support or adjustments throughout our recruitment process. We also welcome applicants who are looking for flexible working arrangements.
Follow us on LinkedIn (MBDA), Twitter (@MBDAcareers), Instagram (lifeatMBDA_UK) and Glassdoor or visit our MBDA Careers website for more information. Please Note
: MBDA UK Limited requires all employees to achieve the required medical and national security clearance for their role. Further restrictions and/or limitations relating to nationality and/or rights to work may also apply. As a minimum and after offer stage, all successful candidates will need to undergo HMG Basic Personnel Security Standard checks (BPSS), which are managed by the MBDA Personnel Security Team.
Due to the nature of our business, this particular vacancy requires the applicant as a minimum to be a British Citizen or a Dual UK national with British citizenship and capable of achieving the clearance levels mentioned above.