About our Business
SSE's Solar and Battery Storage team is one of the fastest growing parts of SSE Group with an exciting multi-GW pipeline of projects in train and has recently joined SSE Renewables. In order to accelerate progress towards net zero SSE Group is investing £7m a day on low carbon infrastructure, creating 1,000 green jobs a year in the process, as part of its £23bn NZAP (Net Zero Acceleration Programme). Our solar and battery projects will play a crucial role in getting us to net zero by helping to balance the Grid and by helping us to fully harness the power of renewable generation. SSE is a FTSE30 company intent on building a better world of energy. We're looking to double the size of our current team by attracting people who share our passion for getting to net zero, at what is a very exciting time for the energy sector.
About the Role
Base Location: Flexible, however our preference is that you will be based in one of our key UK or Ireland sites, which includes but is not limited to:- Glasgow, Perth, Aberdeen, Inverness, Reading, Havant, Belfast or Dublin.
Salary: £53,100-£79,900 / €74,600-€111,800 + car/car allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
As one of our Engineering Managers, you'll be accountable for the management of the multi-disciplinary Engineering Team providing specialist technical expertise across the solar and battery energy storage (BESS) projects. You'll act as a Technical Authority during greenfield project design and development, monitor and manage design through the project construction and will handover to our operational team, responsible for safe and efficient development of large pipeline of transmission connected project across the UK & Ireland. You will provide leadership on technical level and drive team of highly skilled engineers to high performance standards.
Some of your other main accountabilities will include:
- Providing technical leadership and support within the Electrical Engineering discipline.
- Providing leadership on transmission and distribution issues with host network operators across GB.
- Ensuring the Electrical Engineering Team operate safely in line with SSE and Renewables Engineering processes and procedures.
- Performance management across the team to ensure all staff are set and deliver against challenging objectives.
- Identifying all opportunities to increase the value contribution the engineering team make to the business.
- Managing engineering and design through our LCP (Large Capital Projects) Assurance Process.
- Ensuring the quality of all works delivered by the Engineering Team is of the required standard and achieves the full requirements of our stakeholders.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A demonstrable background working within a similar engineering management role in a Power Generation environment and working with or for electricity network owners & operators in GB.
- Outstanding leadership and people management skills, with proven ability in motivating, mentoring and leading a team made up of multi-disciplined specialists.
- Experience in setting a strong safety culture across the team and wider business and leading by example.
- Chartered Engineer status and membership of the Engineering Council (or working towards).
- A strong understanding of the renewable generation field would be highly advantageous.
- Experience and a successful history of managing and interfacing with engineering consultants and EPC (Engineering Procurement and Construction) contractors is desirable.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement (inclusive of usual bank holidays). Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Andy on 01738 275847.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.