Capability Lead - Manufacturing
Culham Science Centre, Abingdon, gb
Salary: £52,293 (inclusive of MPP) + excellent benefits including outstanding pension
Site Location: UKAEA Culham, Oxfordshire
Confirmed Grade: Level 5
Department: IED - Fabrication, Installation & Maintenance Unit
By 2050, the planet could be using twice as much electricity compared to today. Are you interested in contributing and helping to shape the future of the world’s energy? If so, read on.
Fusion, the process that powers the Sun and Stars, is one of the most promising options for generating the cleaner, carbon-free energy that our world badly needs.
UKAEA leads the way in realizing fusion energy, partnering with industry and research for groundbreaking advancements. Our goal is to bring fusion electricity to the grid, supported by tomorrow's power stations. In pursuit of our mission, UKAEA embraces core values: Innovative, Committed, Trusted, and Collaborative."
As an employee of UKAEA you will benefit from:
- Outstanding defined benefit pension scheme, details of which can be found at the end of this advert.
- Corporate bonus scheme up to 7% and a Relocation allowance (if eligible).
- Flexible working options including family friendly policies.
- Employee Assistance Programme and trained Mental Health First Aiders,
- Emergency paid leave, Generous annual leave allowance (30.5 days) increased with length of service,
- Wide range of career development opportunities
- A vibrant culture committed to being fully inclusive
As Capability Lead - Manufacturing, you will play a pivotal role in manufacturability advice and consultancy throughout the entire design and realisation process. You will attend or chair meetings that make key decisions e.g., design reviews and project boards and deal with project budgeting, internal costing, timescales, and shop floor support for the most complex machining within MSG.
In this role, you will need outstanding communication skills and a proven track record of achieving significant milestones within defined timeframes. Additionally, your expertise in design, project management, and quality processes within a high-tech engineering environment will be essential.
If you are keen to drive process improvements by assessing design for manufacture procedures and championing change throughout the organization, and if you're enthusiastic about collaborating with capability leaders to achieve optimal designs that prioritize manufacturability, then we would like to hear from you.
- Ensure efficient manufacturability by preventing the inclusion of impractical features in design and working closely with other manufacturing sectors including welding, vacuum brazing, and bonding and the ‘assembly & installation’ teams.
- Profound grasp of cutting-edge tooling and programming capabilities, encompassing offline CAD/CAM processes
- Stay current with manufacturing technologies to guide future investments, including compliance with relevant standards like BS ISO 16792:2021.
- Expertise in machining diverse materials, such as Inconel, Titanium, Inconel, Tungsten, Stainless Steel 304 and 316, coupled with a strong understanding of H&S, QA inspections, subcontracting, influencing, and commercial insights.
- Apprenticeship in machining/manufacturing
- Knowledge of Safe working practices in workshops and applicable legislation
- Extensive proven CNC machine experience through a track record of success of high-quality production delivery and management. Machining technologies include (but not limited to) 5-axis CNC milling, 3-axis CNC milling, 4th axis milling, CNC turning including live tooling capability and EDM wire cutting.
- Demonstrable proficiency in CAD/CAM
- Experience of working on demanding and complex technologies e.g., Fusion, Fission, aerospace, medical and Formula One - meeting deadlines and demanding Quality Assurance requirements
- Knowledge of a variety of CAD model formats (STP, IGES, DWG, DXF and STL)
A full list of our benefits can be found here https://careers.ukaea.uk/life-at-ukaea/employee-benefits/
We welcome applications from under-represented groups, particularly individuals from black and other ethnic minority backgrounds, people with disabilities, and women. Our Executive team, supported by our 'Equality, Diversity and Inclusion' (EDI) Partner and Inclusion Ambassadors, actively promotes EDI and takes steps to increase diversity within our organization. We reinforce best practices in recruitment and selection and evaluate approaches to remove barriers to success.
Please note that vacancies are generally advertised for 4 weeks but may close earlier if we receive a large number of applications.
All employees at the UK Atomic Energy Authority must complete an online Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) and other appropriate security checks, including The Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) checks for criminal convictions.
For applicants applying from outside the United Kingdom or those who have spent time outside the UK in the last five years, please visit the following link for information on criminal records checks: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/criminal-records-checks-for-overseas-applicants If your country of residence or previous residence is not listed on the website or if the UK Government does not have information on obtaining a criminal records check from that state, we regret to inform you that we cannot process your application.