Base Location: We're proud to offer a Flexible First approach to work, and this role is no exception. We will, however need your base "office" location to be one of our SSEN Transmission Offices: Perth / Inverness / Aberdeen / Glasgow
Salary: £53,100 - £79,700 + car /car allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
We are looking for Assistant HVDC Engineering Managers to help drive forward our projects and who can bring big ideas, new skills and innovative thinking to help us grow our teams to successfully deliver a network for Net Zero.
This role would sit in within the HVDC Cable Engineering Team. Direct HVDC, marine and cable experience would be desirable it is not necessary.
An Assistant HVDC Engineering Manager (Cables) will have the following key responsibilities:
- Working with the Project Engineering Managers on HVDC cable projects with responsibility for delivery of HVDC engineering scope (Large Capital Projects governance Gate 1 to Gate 4) for assigned project / package (typical value £700M - £2000M); working closely with Project Engineering Manager, Lead Project Managers and Project Managers (and Project Director as appropriate) to ensure that engineering and quality risks in marine and terrestrial environments are suitably identified, understood, communicated and that appropriate measures are put in place to ensure that issues are dealt with pro-actively where practicable, and to minimise risk to project/asset quality, cost and programme
- Direct line management responsibilities of project engineers of different disciplines and be responsible for the co-ordination of all engineering activities, including the selection and management of engineering consultants, technical direction of contractors
- Ensure that project technical requirements are clearly communicated to project teams and that project teams understand the requirement to refer technical issues to engineering
- Responsible for early identification of technology elements requiring Technical Authority (TA) approval, and preparing the plan for TA approval, in conjunction with the technical team
- Promote and manage safety within project portfolio, including Safety in Design, implementation of CDM procedures, offshore installation practices and Principle Designer (PD) practice and review of construction methods (RAMS) and commissioning and operational safety requirements
- Responsible for Design Management Plans, Engineering Works Information, scheduling of Design Reviews and ensuring competent project technical leadership (in conjunction with Project Engineering Manager and the Technical Authority)
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A degree in an appropriate engineering discipline (preferably CEng) coupled with experience leading multi-discipline engineering teams
- Good technical knowledge of the electricity transmission and distribution network, system design, routing and installation of underground and subsea cable systems, with technical understanding of key cable system components and high-level technical understanding of facilitating functions with an understanding of legal and regulatory framework obligation in which SSEN Transmission operates.
- Good technical knowledge of relevant legislation and the implications for Transmission network management for both Assets and Projects, including CDM (Construction Design and Management) Regulations and ESQCR (Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations)
- Good relationships and understanding of consultants and external industry experts and the ability to communicate and challenge complex technical issues and recommendations in a clear and concise manner to facilitate decision making by senior management
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Iona on 01738 344049.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.