Are you an experienced Engineer, who has the ability to see the bigger picture, and apply your working knowledge of engineering, science and systems thinking to support unique and essential engineering projects at the heart of the UK's nuclear deterrent? If so, we could have a career for you.
We are looking for motivated and experienced individuals to lead and apply Systems Engineering approaches to mechanical, electronic, processing, safety, security or nuclear projects and are interested in developing their career with us.
The Warhead Systems Engineering Team provides the capability to design, coordinate, integrate and verify Nuclear Warheads and enabling systems to meet current, and potential future customer requirements. We manage the systems from cradle to grave taking consideration of safety, performance and through life maintenance while interfacing with the MoD and other strategic defence partners, while supporting AWE to deliver an integrated solution.
Principal/Senior Systems Engineers (Trident & Replacement Warhead)
Location: Reading area (office based)
Salary: £44,900 - £80,000 (dependant on experience)
Closing date: 21st November 2023
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
- Potential opportunities to travel with work for conferences and collaboration
The difference you'll make in these roles:
- Leading on the delivery of requirements, conceptual designs, detail designs, manufacturing specifications, operational documentation and validation evidence for engineering solutions across multiple life-cycle phases
- Leading and managing stakeholder partnerships
- Supporting the training and development of less experienced engineers through formal and informal mentoring
- Applying the behaviours of a systems thinker to solve complex problems and implement constructive change
The key skills & experience you'll bring:
- HNC/HND or degree qualification in a science or engineering discipline or proven experience working in a similar environment
- Proven experience of delivering engineering projects with a consideration for quality, time, and cost
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication and exceptional soft skills to work with people and teams to both discover and share key information
We have a range of roles available across engineering, and below is a brief summary of some of our opportunities:
Trident - Responsible for warhead life-cycle management of our in-service Trident deterrent. This includes the assurance of the continual health of system; determining and collecting vital surveillance evidence; assessing the impacts and introduction of new design modifications; maintaining the quality of new product; and supporting the wider boat programme and CASD.
Replacement Warhead - Responsible for realising an effective future system design. This includes the early system-lifecycle context and requirement derivation and maturation that will underpin the system design; generating and maturing system design options; and defining and burning down verification risk across all products.
Warhead Engineering are committed to investing in your development through mentoring, coaching and support, to enable you to develop and grow in role.
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the security clearance required for the role and be willing and able to travel within the UK and overseas as required.