Building our Talent:
We are actively looking for a skilled Electrical Design Manager who is looking to further develop their career for the long term within our business in a full-time permanent capacity.
As the successful Electrical Design Manager, you be the lead electrical design resource working closely with our Mechanical Design Lead and the operational lead within Balfour Beatty Kilpatrick in Motherwell and wider UKCS business on interesting and challenging projects. Working in a collaborative environment with our Construction colleagues to ensure quality design solutions are provided for our buildings.
Focused on Healthcare / Hospitals and Clinical Health projects, you will have prior experience working on building services design within the health sector.
NB. Due to the nature of our projects, we require individuals to hold full work rights for here in the UK.
- Review of tender design information and comment in relation to technical compliance and initiation of Value Engineering ideas. This to involve developing hand marked design solutions to support estimating teams on occasion
- Liaison with estimating department members to ensure understanding of clients requirements and to review solutions
- Review key plant and equipment selections at tender stage particularly related to VE or alternative design solutions
- Develop and agree scope with Line Manager for the engagement of external design consultants and organisation of project agreements
- Monitoring of external design consultants performance during project delivery and supporting internal project team where issues arise
- Review of detail design information and comment in relation to technical compliance
- Provide technical review of external Consultants design throughout various RIBA Stages of the project design delivery and supporting internal project team where issues arise
- Develop and agree scope with Line Manager and BIM Lead the project CAD/BIM delivery requirements, plus monitoring of delivery during project stage, in particular the costs
- Provide Electrical technical/design support and reviews across the delivery unit where required, supporting other design managers on their projects
- Understanding of DfMA and applying this to project solutions
Key Skillset Required:
- Solid and proven experience in successfully leading multi-discipline engineering functions within a regulated industry
- Must hold good understanding of healthcare projects SHTMs (Scottish Healthcare Technical Memorandums) Hospitals, Clinical Health etc.
- Strong capabilities in Design Management rather than doing the technical design elements, but be technically capable and able to pick design elements apart
- Capable of providing technical reviews of design partners submissions
- Experience and understanding of the outputs from Amtech, Lighting design software and similar
- Good understanding of HV/LV infrastructure and distribution design
- Good understanding of low carbon design solutions and technology Renewable energy technology / LZC (low zero carbon)
- Ability to generate design reports and design trackers associated with design partners performance
- The ability to communicate well and succinctly to direct reports, peers, and senior leadership
- Detailed knowledge of codes of practice and other regulatory material
- Awareness/knowledge of environmental issues i.e. BREEAM
Why work for us:
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality.
You can read our UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan in full at www.balfourbeatty.com/value_everyone
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information on Disability Confident can be found at: https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/