BAE Systems Digital Intelligence Electronic Engineer - Wireless Products Team (Physics, Maths, CompSci and EEE Graduates) Start Date: 2024 (July or September) Base location:
BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,800 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 16 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
The Wireless Products Team is part of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we are passionate about creating innovative, mission critical technology for our customers. Our industry-leading products are created by fusing together a wide spectrum of engineering disciplines from electronic hardware, including RF and optics, through to FPGA development, C/C++ and web technologies.
The boundaries of wireless technology are moving forwards rapidly, providing ever more capability and delivering tremendous benefits to society. However, that same technology is being ever more exploited by those who seek to cause harm. The Wireless Products Team works with UK government and its trusted partners, playing a significant role in keeping our country safe. It’s something we’re extremely proud of.
The Wireless Products Team is recruiting talented graduates, typically in the fields of Electronic Engineering, Physics, Mathematics and Computer Science. From underwater to outer space, work on a wide range of complex problems and develop your skills in areas such electronics, software, signal processing and mathematical modelling. Hungry for a technical challenge? Want a noble and rewarding mission? Enjoy making things or understanding how technology works? If so, we’d love you to apply so we can tell you more.
You will join a project team of talented engineers and technologists, who will coach and support you to gain the necessary skills. You will work closely with our customers to find solutions to their most complex problems. You will also have the opportunity to work on all stages of a product lifecycle, from research and development, through concept and design to build and support.
Within the Wireless Products team there are a variety of roles suitable for graduates, and while you may specialise in one or more, you will be encouraged to develop a broad set of skills and understanding.
- Designing high performance electronics (digital/RF/analogue) for our products
- Manufacturing devices designed to operate in extreme environments
- Creating FPGA-based digital signal processing applications (typically using VHDL)
- Developing software and/or firmware for a range of target devices including FPGAs, ARM processors, GPUs and microcontrollers (typically using VHDL or Verilog)
- Designing signal processing algorithms
- Mathematical modelling
Within the Wireless Products Team, we understand you’re not going to know everything straight away so you will participate in specialised training to bring you up to speed. You will also have a buddy assigned to help you find your feet. We will support you with a career mentor who will guide you through your career as it develops. We have a strong career development framework that allows a focus on both technical expertise and engineering leadership. We will encourage you to work towards professional registration and get involved in engineering outreach activities to inspire future generations of engineers.
Who are we looking for?
Our team needs people with excellent problem solving skills, enthusiasts for technology, who enjoy making things, understanding how stuff works and are motivated to deliver solutions that ultimately make a difference to the safety and security of the world in which we live.
- On track to achieve or achieved (within the last 3 years) 2:1 degree in Engineering, typically EEE, Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science or similar.
- Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered for a position within our team. Due to the nature of our work successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government SC clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/united-kingdom-security-vetting
- We will support you in developing the right skills for both your role and career, but are looking for people who show:
- An interest and aptitude in solving problems
- Excellent analytical and numerical skills
- Highly motivated and a desire to learn
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
What’s in it for you? Digital Intelligence Graduate Programme (working in the Wireless Products Team)
Work on projects from the outset with close mentoring and support provided. These roles include participation of the Digital Intelligence Graduate Programme for 18 months which includes personal development training and networking opportunities with the wider business.
- Work-life balance is important; you’ll get 25 days holiday a year and, via our flexible benefits package the option to buy/sell and carry over from the year before
- Our flexible benefits package includes; private medical and dental insurance, a competitive pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, taste cards and more
- You’ll have a dedicated Career Manager to help you develop your career and guide you on your journey through BAE
- You are welcome to join any/all of our Diversity and Support groups. These groups cover everything from gender diversity to mental health and wellbeing
- £34,000 starting salary, rising to £40,000 on completion of the Graduate Programme after 24 months
- £2,000 welcome payment
- Flexible benefits including discounts on private medical insurance, life insurance, income protection, gym membership, restaurants, cinemas, shops and many more
- Share incentive plan
- Annual bonus scheme