Are you passionate about technology and interested in shaping how it can help improve scientific computing? Join the CERN IT Platforms Group and the team responsible for the Kubernetes services hosting our core business and scientific computing use cases. You will have a key role in supporting the ongoing transition to a cloud native infrastructure in the different groups at CERN.
- Be responsible for running the Kubernetes service at CERN, ensuring appropriate operations and support to our communities.
- Lead an initiative to incorporate and enforce security best practices, including improvements to vulnerability checks and scanning, software bill of materials (SBOM) and runtime security checks. Collaborate closely with the CERN Security Team.
- Expand the usage of GitOps across the organization, streamlining the deployment of tools such as ArgoCD. Develop tutorials and organize dissemination sessions to the different communities at CERN.
- Work closely with multiple upstream communities such as Kubernetes, Argo, Falco and other projects in the cloud native ecosystem, ensuring appropriate integration and support for the different use cases from CERN communities.
Skills and/or knowledge
- Good knowledge of cloud native technologies, particularly Kubernetes. CKA/CKS certification is a plus.
- Experience with Linux system administration.
- Experience with security tool sets.
- Fluent in English, the ability to work in French would be an advantage.
- You are a national of a CERN Member or Associate Member State.
- You have a professional background in Computing Engineer, Computer Science (or a related field) and have either:
- a Master's degree with 2 to 6 years of post-graduation professional experience;
- or a PhD with no more than 3 years of post-graduation professional experience.
- You have never had a CERN fellow or graduate contract before.
Job closing date: November 29 at 12:00 AM (midnight) CET.
Job reference: IT-PW-PI-2023-124-GRAP
Contract duration: 24 months, with a possible extension up to 36 months maximum.
Target start date: 01-March-2024
What we offer
- A monthly stipend ranging between 6194 and 6808 Swiss Francs per month (net of tax).
- Coverage by CERN's comprehensive health scheme (for yourself, your spouse and children), and membership of the CERN Pension Fund.
- Depending on your individual circumstances: installation grant; family, child and infant allowances; payment of travel expenses at the beginning and end of contract.
- 30 days of paid leave per year.
- On-the-job and formal training at CERN as well as in-house language courses for English and/or French.
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
We are on a Quest. A Journey into discovery like no other. Bring your expertise to our unique work and develop your knowledge and skills at pace. Join world-class subject matter experts on unique projects, in a Quest for greater knowledge and deeper understanding.
Begin your CERN Quest. Take Part!
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success.