AWE is currently recruiting for a Special Operations Group Team Leader. They provide emergency response 24 hours a day and specialise in the recovery and containment of materials. During normal hours, the team carry out specialist waste processing.
Duties include managing and supervising all operational aspects associated with Special Operation Group (SOG) activities throughout the company.
Special Operations Group Team Leader
Location - Reading / Basingstoke Area
Salary - £34,470 - £45,000 per annum (dependent on experience and suitability for the role)
Closing Date - 22nd November 2023
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time.
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training.
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services.
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution).
- Life Assurance.
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending.
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family.
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site.
The suitable candidate must have:
- Experience in the nuclear industry or similar in highly regulated, high hazard environments.
- Willing to be on call, 1 week in 3 and live within 1 hour of main site (RG7 4PR).
- Able to wear RPE and PPE.
- Pass a medical and maintain fitness for the role.
- Hold a Manual driving licence.
- Able to attend site daily, working from home is limited.
- Managing Work with Nuclear Material.
- Supervision of predetermined packages of work to ensure the clients requirements and company objectives are achieved.
- Generate documentation for predetermined packages of work to enable the required activities to be undertaken.
- Meeting the identified client requirements within agreed time and budgetary limitations.
- Obtain and maintain: Work Supervision (WSS), Radiological Protection Supervisor (RPS) & Work at Height (WAH) Supervisor accreditation's.
- Obtain and maintain Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) Board Controller & Supervisor accreditation.
- Obtain and maintain Lifting Operations & Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER) Singling & Lifting Operator & Supervisor.
- Maintain and promote personal standards in environment, safety, health, and quality and be a team player.
- Undertake emergency response and silent hours cover.
- Provide specialist advice to internal customers on waste processing techniques and processes.
- Maintain abridged Waste Officer training/knowledge.
- Ensure staff operate safely and to procedures.
- Support compliance activities such as Risk Based Inspections and process surveillance.
- Participate in site emergency exercises.
- To be responsible for the detailed management of technical aspects associated with identified packages/area covering, pre-works and task methodologies needed to comply with the requirements.
- Ensuring that all work is carried safely and in accordance with Corporate Safety, Quality and Security procedures.
- Prepare Safe Systems of Work (SSoW), permits, method statements, risk assessments and work authorisation forms as required for predetermined packages of work to an acceptable standard; submitted in a timely manner to obtain approval from the appropriate AWE approval route.
- Produce and present a progress statement to the Team Leader Special Operations Group at progress meetings.
- Participate in periodic safety audits, reviews, and inspections of Special Operations Group work.
- Act as SOG manager during absences or during emergency response.
- Planning and de-confliction with Work Control Centres, Customers, Health Physics, Facility Management and Task Management requirements whilst delivering a good customer service.
- Liaise with the site response group, emergency managers, shift managers and the emergencies services during site emergencies and provide specialist advice to recover to a safe state.
- The Company may require you to fulfil any other reasonable duties aligned to your position from time to time in line with business needs.