About the Role
Protection and Control Engineer
Base Location: Reading
Salary: Competitive depending on skills and experience + car / cash allowance + a range of other benefits to support your family, finances and wellbeing.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
We are looking for an enthusiastic and diligent engineer to join the SSEN Protection & Control (P&C) Team working across the Southern Distribution Network.
As a P&C Engineer you will work with a passionate team of like-minded engineers across a range of projects from 6.6KV to 132kV. You will be involved in taking projects from concept through detailed design and supporting them during construction and energisation. You will work with multiple stakeholders across the business to ensure a compliant, cost-effective design is delivered on time.
In addition, you'll have the opportunity to be involved in projects focused on innovation, standardisation, technology assessment as well as working with our suppliers on new products and services.
This is a fantastic time to join a growing team as we look forward to RIIO ED2, the challenges posed by moving to Net Zero as well as the opportunities offered by new technology, communications and services.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Developing scoping documentation and Main Connections & Protection Diagrams (MC&P).
- Review Protection & Control Designs developed by third parties on the 11kV, 33kV and 132kV network to be installed for SSEN.
- Specifying P&C related equipment and plant such as relays, CTs and VTs.
- Producing detailed designs including AC/DC schematics.
- Carrying out protection grading studies, producing relay files and settings.
- Reviewing Commissioning Plans and attending Commissioning Panel meetings.
- Witnessing FAT where required and witnessing on Site Commissioning.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- A minimum of a Bachelors degree or equivalent in a related field.
- Essential to have experience of working on the Distribution Network from 11kV to 132kV (preferably in the UK).
- Previous experience of working on Distribution Networks as a Protection & Control Design Engineer. This should include experience at 11kV, 33kV and 132kV.
- Knowledge and experience of protection relays and relay panels, CT & VT sizing calculations, protection grading studies and the producing of detailed and accurate AC/DC drawings.
- Knowledge of UK electrical practices and standards and an understanding/appreciation of CDM regulations.
- A high regard for safety with demonstrable experience of risk mitigation.
Regular travel is required and as a result we can only accept applications from candidates that hold a current driving license.
About our Business
SSEN Distribution powers 3.9 million homes and businesses in communities across central southern England and the north of Scotland. Our team of more than 4,200 highly skilled people keep customers connected to a safe and reliable supply of electricity whilst developing the flexible networks that are vital for the future. We power communities to thrive today and create a net zero tomorrow. Why not join us and help power change, we're looking for great people who love working with others to achieve great results. You'll be empowered to make the right decisions for our customers and have the space to take accountability for the work you do. You'll be working as part of a bigger team, enabling net zero, so team work will be essential. As a part of our business, you become part of something bigger - an established company with a reputation for looking after our people, offering secure and rewarding roles where safety is our number one priority.
What's in it for you?
An excellent package with 34 days holiday entitlement, enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We actively encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments required during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
All applications should be submitted online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working differently requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Shirley on 01738 351976.
Before commencing employment with SSE, you'll be required to fully complete our pre-employment screening process consisting of a basic criminal records and credit check.