About the Role
Base Location: Glasgow, Inverness, Perth or Aberdeen
Salary: £53,100 - £79,700 + car /car allowance + performance-related bonus + a range of benefits to support your finances, wellbeing and family.
Working Pattern: Permanent | Full Time | Flexible First options available
The duties and responsibilities of the Senior HVDC Commissioning Engineer are:
- Technically leading a team of Commissioning Engineers of various disciplines that may include Operations and Maintenance Engineers, Field Unit Engineers and Commissioning Engineers working within HVDC Engineering who involve in commissioning of plants and equipment that form part of the HVDC system and interfaces with HVAC system.
- Coordinating and witnessing activities between the Supplier and SSEN-T Commissioning Engineers by reviewing the Suppliers day to day, weekly and overall commissioning programme. This includes ensuring that stage 1 and stage 2 commissioning activities are clearly defined and are both realistic and achievable.
- Promote and manage safety within assigned projects through the implementation of CDM procedures on site. You shall support the Project Engineering team by attending and contributing to HAZID / HAZCON / HAZOP workshops to ensure the project design has accommodated for commissioning related activities.
- Provide advice and guidance to the SSEN Commissioning Team, Project Development Team and Project Delivery Team with respect to HVDC and HVAC construction and commissioning on quality, risk, programme, Stage by Stage diagrams, Outage Planning, Stage 1 and Stage 2 HVDC commissioning and be fully conversant with the company Safety Rules ensuring safety from the system. You will also provide input for Developing Outage Plans, Energisation Plans and Contingency Plans developed by the Project Development and Project Delivery teams.
- Chair HVDC weekly/monthly coordination meetings and provide daily commissioning brief to your commissioning team. You will represent SSEN-T in the suppliers daily, weekly and monthly commissioning progress and commissioning coordination meetings to set SSEN-Ts expectation and gather progress to feed into your daily, weekly and monthly reporting.
- Ensure that the suppliers Quality Plan, Inspection Test Plan (ITP) or Site Acceptance Test (SAT) and, Inspection Test Record (ITR) are reviewed and accepted ahead of Stage 1 commissioning. You will be responsible for raising commissioning defects, snagging and signing them off including ITR.
What do I need?
To be considered for this role, we would love you to have:
- Applicant will require an Electrical Engineering Degree at minimum level of HNC or BEng. Chartered Engineer Status may be advantageous.
- Experience in the Electricity Transmission Industry: Strong Commissioning, Engineering and Construction knowledge.
- An understanding of industry and Health and Safety legislation.
- Good understanding of the Transmission HVDC Commissioning processes and protocols including CIGRE TB697 and will have experience in commissioning of HVDC systems up to 320kV preferably both VSC and LCC HVDC schemes.
- Knowledge and experience of HVDC Commissioning with discipline focus on HVDC Controls, HVDC Protections, Aux power systems, HVAC systems, Main Circuit apparatus, HVDC Valves, SCADA systems and approval/Sign-off and witnessing of all HVDC commissioning ITP and ITR.
- The ability to work alone or with a diverse team of multi-disciplined engineers and managers. This role requires onsite support during the commissioning phase on an agreed period of rotation basis and therefore an amount of travelling will be expected of the successful applicant.
What's in it for you?
We offer an excellent package with 34 days annual leave entitlement. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave, discounted healthcare, salary sacrifice car leasing and much more, view our full benefits package on our careers site.
As an equal opportunity employer we encourage diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We encourage applicants from all protected characteristics and commit to providing any reasonable adjustments you need during the application, assessment and upon joining SSE. Search for 'Inclusion & Diversity at SSE' to find out more.
What happens now?
All applications should be made online, and I'll be back in touch after the vacancy closing date to let you know the outcome.
If you would like to discuss any working flexibly requirements or adjustments you may require throughout the recruitment and selection process, please contact Iona on 01738 344049.
Before commencing your role with SSE, you'll need to complete our pre-employment screening process. This will consist of a criminality and credit check.