AWE currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Software Engineering Technical Lead (SME) to apply their expertise to our Science Function and contribute towards our successful state of the art Orion facility (see URL below for more information).
Senior Software Engineer
Package: £44,990- £65,000 (depending on suitability and level of experience)
Closing Date: 28th November 2023
What will you be responsible for as a Senior Software Engineering Technical Lead?
- The role holder is responsible for all technical aspects of Orion Software Engineering including the configuration control of the whole Orion software architecture.
- Understanding the way Software systems interact with C&I systems and take on the role of Software Technical Authority for Orion.
- Understanding and managing current Software architecture and identifying any areas for improvement, to present to Orion management.
- Technically lead the design and implementation of the new Software architecture for Orion's updated controls system, as directed by Design Authority and the Project Control Leads.
- Ensure technical needs are adequately understood, all viable technical options are considered, and appropriate technical solutions are implemented within stakeholder constraints.
- Act as a technical focal point for Orion Engineering, which includes Software but could also include interactions with C&I systems.
- Identifying and effectively resolving risks and security threats of control systems, and present to Orion management when appropriate.
- Although not responsible for, you will need an appreciation of C&I systems to assist you in completing various tasks and you may need to lean on other SME's to help you do this.
- Ensure appropriate standards are set and best practices implemented across Orion's software system.
- Identify appropriate levels of technical competency (in conjunction with Team Leaders and Design Managers), to Team Leads.
- Identifying training & development requirements for team members, to Team Leads.
What will you need to be considered for the role of Senior Software Engineering Technical Lead?
- Experience of designing large scale software control systems and mapping their architecture.
- At least an ONC/HNC in software discipline or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of communication protocols and methods, including Open Platform Communications (OPC).
- Acquiring and managing data from Orion's controls system.
- Managing Human Machine Interfaces (HMI's) for control systems.
- Knowledge and experience of using Genisis32/64-bit software or Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) toolsets.
- Experience of a software programming system / language, preferably using one of these packages: - Labview, C, VBA, python, java.
- Knowledge or experience of project life cycles and configuration control.
- Professional membership or registration preferred, or a willingness to work towards professional registration.
What will you get from us?
- As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Maternity Leave- 39 Weeks Full pay & Paternity Leave- 4 Weeks Full Pay!
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing - more information available on our careers site
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.