AWE is currently recruiting for a Mechanical Engineer to work within the Engineering Trials Delivery Unit of our Trials and Test delivery area, supporting environmental testing through design of experimental equipment, and research and provision of environmental testing capabilities. The successful candidate will work on a variety of challenging design and capability projects to meet the needs of engineering Trials, as well the delivery unit's research and development goals. If you have experience in systems design and in particular CAD… we want to hear from you!
Package: £35,720- £50,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
Closing Date: 06th December 2023
Depending on experience, the successful candidate will also be supported to undertake assessment by the Design Authority to be accountable for ensuring the technical solutions developed meet the high standards of operational safety, performance and our customers' requirements.
What will you be responsible for?
- Design and develop experimental equipment/tooling, including rigs, fixtures and lifting equipment to enable environmental testing.
- Contribute to the delivery of conceptual designs, detail designs, manufacturing specifications, operational documentation and validation evidence for mechanical engineering solutions in relation to defined requirements.
- Supporting the design and maintenance of new and novel environmental testing capability.
- Owning the product lifecycle from requirements through design, prototype hardware and product manufacture.
- Driving requirements development and designs to meet customer requirements.
- Completing engineering substantiation including calculations and finite element analysis to demonstrate safety and performance of products against requirements and international standards.
- Identifying and performing product verification activities.
- Using your mechanical design skills to enable and support a variety of different sorts of engineering trials.
- Maintaining a technical knowledge of environmental testing capabilities, developments in the field and areas of interest.
What will you need to be considered?
- 3+ years of experience working with mechanical engineering systems design.
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering or other relevant Engineering discipline, or HNC/HND supported by additional relevant experience.
- Proven experience of delivering projects with a consideration for quality, time, and cost
- A strong technical mechanical engineering basis, including: skills in CAD, engineering drawings, design substantiation and legislation
- Strong communication skills (both written and oral)
- Strong organisational and problem-solving skills
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office
Ideally you will have:
- 3+ years of experience working with mechanical engineering systems design, with experience in tooling design, environmental testing and lifting and support equipment.
- Experience with a CAD software design package (NX preferred) and experience of designing and managing large CAD assemblies.
- Experience with Product Lifecycle Management software (Teamcenter preferred).
- Ability to produce complex engineering drawings for manufacture to BS8888/ISO standards.
- Strong understanding of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T).
- Familiarity/experience with the requirements for CE marking and production of engineering technical files.
- Familiarity/experience in the requirements for the design of lifting equipment (e.g. lifting attachments, lifting beams).
- Experience/interest in product verification, particularly environmental testing.
- Knowledge and understanding of standard machine shop manufacturing techniques and how to design for manufacture.
- Ability to plan your own work, work to agreed timescales and assess and mitigate impacts to project schedules.
What will you get from us?
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts - access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role. Due to the nature of this role, we'd need the successful candidate to be able to work on site, in Aldermaston.